LAKE TITICACA - Uros Floating Islands and Sillustani Tombs


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
August 17th 2022
Published: September 7th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Lake TiticacaLake TiticacaLake Titicaca

On our way to the Uros Islands.
After breakfast, and full of anticipation, we boarded the boat that would take us to the Uros Islands on Lake Titicaca. An excursion that did not disappoint.

Although the inhabitants of these islands still can be said to live in fairly primitive conditions, they have become savvy enough to have a very good organization of how to distribute the tourists around their community. The individual islands' construction and maintenance are the concern and responsibility of all who live on that island, so I can see how they have used the same principles to divide what must be a big source of income amongst the entire community.

Upon officially entering the Uros District, our boat captain was instructed about which island we could visit. It turned out to be the "Beautiful Rainbow" Island, home to four families.

We were eagerly received, and given an explanation about the construction of the floating islands, which take around a year to build and last between 25-30 years. There are decisive guidelines about the harvesting of the reeds that are used in every aspect of their life so conserving them is of the utmost importance, but their demonstrations were cute and full of humor.

Afterwards came our exploration of the island, with members of one family taking a couple of us under their wind to show us around their huts and goods. They had plenty of choices for souvenirs. I bought a pretty embroidered tapestry with a ducks and fish design that I'm planning to find a place for on my wall. I like the rustic design, which seemed unique to their Uros community, and the colors are rich and full.

After listening to a couple of their traditional songs, we reciprocated by a half-hearted rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Listen Star. I kid you not.

Finally, the opportunity came to board one of their reed boats to be ferried to the main island which even has a café for those who wanted to purchase a snack, or a coffee, etc.

Naturally, I couldn't pass the photo op of pretending to be rowing the boat. In truth, although I saw another boat being rowed manually, ours was just being steered from the front and pushed from behind by a more modern motorized fishing boat.

Oh, woe is technology.

Other signs of technology could be seen around the islands.
Uros IslandsUros IslandsUros Islands

Officially entering Uros Territory.
There were antenna receivers for TV watching, and solar panels to provide power. I'm glad they can enjoy those amenities. I am so grateful that they have not given up their traditions, and that I was able to see firsthand, even for a short moment, a way of life so unique and traditional.

Overall, I loved the feel of walking on a floating island, the colorful dresses, and the friendliness of the people. It was the most fun and unique of all the places we visited.

Back at the hotel, we soon boarded our transportation for a trip to the historic center of Puno, and the inevitable Plaza Mayor. Lunch was on our own, which provided a good opportunity to do a little exploring.

Although I was spared the worse side effects of altitude sickness, I was lacking in energy, so I accepted the first suggestion for a restaurant and decided to check out what a pizza in Peru was like. It turned out to be a little bland. I realized later on that their cheeses seem to be very mild. Some added salt greatly improved the flavor. I was also misled by the name of chicken
Uros IslandsUros IslandsUros Islands

Our destination, the Beautiful Rainbow Island.
chicharrones on the Menu. I truly thought it was chicken cracklings, but it turned out to be your basic chicken nuggets.

After some time to explore along the main street and the plaza, we departed for another highly anticipated excursion to nearby Sillustani, a pre-Inca cemetery on the shores of Lake Umavo. The tombs, built above ground in tower-like structures, are called chullpas and housed the remains of complete family groups of the Aymara elite of the immediate pre-Inca and Inca period.

Since I was being challenged by the lack of oxygen, I was dismayed to see that the cemetery was at the top of a hill and accessible by a ramp that circled the hill, but frequent stops by our guide for explanations provided the necessary recovery time to be able to make it to the top without much trauma.

I had seen pictures before of one or two of the more impressive of the tombs, but it was hard to judge their size, and I was also unaware of the animal relieves that adorn some of the tombs. It reminded me of the relieves at Gobekli Tepe. The hollowed out stones used in the construction to help withstand the frequent earthquakes were another proof of the advanced building methods that existed during that time.

I was expecting to be impressed by the ruins, but the panoramic views of Lake Umavo that greeted us at the top was an unexpected bonus.

It was another fulfilling day to see in person the tombs I had seen before only in pictures. Even in their damaged state they were impressive. The more damaged ones were dynamited by tomb robbers looking to loot treasures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

The chief, giving us a demonstration of how the islands are built.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Lake fish, decimated by invasive species.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

This ancient gun helps them get some birds also, like ducks.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Some of the ladies showing us how the bartering is handled at market.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

On this hut four family members sleep. A bed for the young couple and the floor for their two children. But they do have a TV, and an antenna.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Some of the handmade souvenirs for sale.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Our reed boat awaits.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Goodbye, Beautiful Rainbow.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

Solar panels help power up the islands.
Uros IslandsUros Islands
Uros Islands

I'm working hard!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb