Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Taquile Island
December 13th 2005
Published: February 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I´ll first start with the most exciting part of the day, the boat trip back from Taquile Island. The full day consisted of a boat trip to the Reed Islands then onto the island of Taquile for lunch. The journey to Taquile was very pleasant, sitting on the top deck enjoying the sun. The return trip started in the same way but this didn´t last. About an hour into the 3 hour journey I was woken by the boat gently rocking, thought nothing of it and went back to sleep. Over the next half an hour it got alot worse, pritty soon everyone was back down from the top deck sitting in silence and looking very worried at each other. It then got worse still, everyone started putting on life vests with a few people being sea sick. The boat is now seriously rocking and getting lashed by 8ft waves. I should say here by storm standards this is not very big, its more that our boat is an old decrepit banger with a motor taken straight from a hair dryer. We´re now rocking at 30-40 degrees! the motor then stops working, we know this because its in the middle of the downstairs deck where we´re all sitting. Me, I wasn´t really worried but the sight of the captain, the first mate and the guide running round like headless chickens is slightly unnerving. After much banging with a wrench the motor starts, hurrrah! we continue on very slowly (7.1mph, GPS - sometimes you really don´t want to know) rocking our way back into port where a relieved tour party departs for the nearest boozer and alot wiser as to what type of boat to pick in the future.

There was also the Reed Island - the purpose of the day. This was about a mile off the shoreline and is an artificial island made of Reeds in which local Peruvians life and work. Its created by laying Reed layer upon layer of on a floating wood base and then anchoring it to the lake. Pritty impressive its stable and bouncy to walk on, they also build huts and boats out of Reed. But this is mainly for the tourists, they all actually live in metal cabins, still on the Reed island though. Another benefit of Reed is that you can eat and tastes good!

As this is my last Peru entry a quick review, best bottled water - San Antonio, best beer - Cuzquena, best place - Cusco, best bus company - Omni, favourite drink - Coca Leaf Tea!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake Titicaca - Reed IslandLake Titicaca - Reed Island
Lake Titicaca - Reed Island

See the metal huts in the background, I think I´d prefer a reed hut!


19th January 2006

"bus company - Omni" - useful advice from an experienced traveller. I'll remember that. But I'm far more curious about the reeds. Are you seriously telling me (us) that reeds taste good? If so, which part, and what does it actually taste like?
20th January 2006

Tips and Reeds
Just a few of the tips you might not find in a guide book! The reeds have a bit of the celery about them but with a sweeter taste. I think a Reed would make an excellent bar snack, maybe even better than the peanut!
20th January 2006

Could this be the great business idea you've been waiting for, importing reed-derived bar snacks for the cognoscenti? :-)

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb