Mancora


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
April 29th 2010
Published: April 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos!

This is going to be a short one because there is not so many ways to say that all we did was RELAX in this next destination. After Lima, Greg and I took a 17 hour bus to Mancora, Peru. Mancora is in northern Peru right on the coast and is a renowned surf and kite boarding spot. We picked a pricier hostel for a first night as a splurge, but turns out this hostel is now under new management, and it wasn't the 'splurge' we were looking for. So we switched hostels and spent the next four nights at the well known party joint, Loki Hostel. This hostel looked more like a resort than a hostel, right on the ocean, with a pool and nice rooms with balconys.

Our main objective for Mancora (apart from relaxing in lounge chairs) was to learn how to surf. So our second day, we set out with an instructor to hit the waves. He taught us how to properly stand on the board on land, and then we went straight to the water. He brought another instructor along, and they held on to the back of the boards with flippers on while we paddled into the waves. Basically, this made it way easier to actually hit the wave where you needed to and when you needed so you got more practice standing and balancing on the board. We would later learn that paddling into the waves (and knowing where to catch the wave) would be the most difficult, exhausting and frustrating part. After our lesson, we spent the next few days going out a few times a day to practice. It was hard to get solid practice in as the waves were few and far between at times, and when lots of waves did come, they were packed with surfers good and bad. This is a work in progress for us, and we plan to return to surfing as soon as we get into Brazil.

Like I said, the rest of our time was spent lounging by the pool desperately trying to get a tan, drinking the hostel's slushies (which were great to combat the insane heat) or Heinkens for $2 and partaking in some of the hostel activities (I am certain that I am the worst pool player alive, especially when I have some drinks in me). We also enjoyed some good meals at the hostel, their specialty the tuna steak, was delicious and for only $4!

So there it is for yah, sun and surfing (or attempting to) and not much else! On to Ecuador for a quick stop over on our way to Columbia. Can't believe that we only have 2 months left!

Laura and Greg



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb