A dunking in the Pacific!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
August 1st 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sharon and I arrived in Mancora at 4am so needless to say we were tired and just wanted a bed. We jumped into a tuk tuk type car and headed to the Loki Hostel however the second time of trying to stay at a Loki was no more successful than the first and the security guard turned us away without a bat of an eyelid. After trying a few more places without success we were pointed in the direction of the Laguna Surf Hostel and boy did it transpire we lucked out with this place!!

We were swiftly shown into a small cabin where we both swiftly collapsed into bed. The next morning we got up and headed into the town with our washing. The washing dropped off it was time to get an ice-cream and chill out and this was the theme for the next two days. Since the weather was hot and the ocean was tempting I went for my first dunking in the Pacific and dunking it was!! Mancora is a big surf town and so the waves were large and current strong so I was soon swept of my feet and struggling to stand against the crashing waves much to Sharons amusement. I enjoyed myself but it was quickly time to give up the struggle as it was hard work.

We had originally planned to spend a fews days relaxing in Mancora however other factors were aginst us. The Laguna Surf could only put us up for two nights as thereafter they were fully booked and other places we tried we either full or wanting to charge us a ridiculous price for an ok room. So the decision was made for us and so on Sunday night we went to catch our last night bus in South America.

Thankfully we turned up at the bus company early as they started to try and tell us that we weren't booked on the bus however a phonecall later and all was confirmed and tickets handed over. Unfortunately the same wasn't for a French lad who was meant to get a bus at midday however it hadn't turned up and so they had booked him on the night bus. He thought he was on our bus however it transpired he was on the half hour earlier bus which was cheaper as it was an economy bus i.e less legroom and the seats don't recline. He was not a happy chappy when he found this out and started arguing with the bus company staff with Sharon and I sat in the middle of it all, We kept our heads down and tried to pretend we were part of the wallpaper as it all got very heated. Eventually he got a partial refund and went on the early bus however he was not happy when he left...

Having got on our bus with no problems I soon fell asleep to be woken a few hours later as we were at the border. We were checked out of Peru and after another short journey checked into Ecuador. Once again I swiftly fell asleep to be woken an hour later and told to get off the bus by a policeman. The whole bus was emptied and our hand luggage checked by the narcotics police. Again I fell asleep once on the bus however we arrived at our destination of Guayaquil at 5.30am so once again Sharon and I were tired and just wanted a bed....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Me and the sunsetMe and the sunset
Me and the sunset

This is the start of my tan needless to say I am now a lot browner!!!!


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb