Vacation, theft and sandstorms


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
February 26th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We been on vacation! took several busses south to Paracas. Sadly, we werent being good travellers, but were acting like travellers! we pu tour bag in the overseat storage, and it was gone an hour later. Lost some good stuff, but we got over it, bought another camera, and went on. We arrived in a vicous sand storm, unusually bad for them. we had to hunker down in our hotel room both afternoons, and when it was over , near sunset, everyone was cleaning up like after a snowstorm. but sunset was great, dinner was fantastic, ceviche, seafood, and people watching on a lovely oceanside boardwalk. Trip to Islas Ballestas the next day was a treat, with very powerful boats of 35 people each. Saalions, gorgeous scenery, birds, and more birds including sealions. and we saw huge dolphins as we were walking on the dock. Maybe they were small whales? Found a real funky reggae-beach bum place for pizza at dinner. Did I mention the hotel had a pool and wifi? much needed!

Back at the foundation, we have all gotten back to work, caring for kids, doing laundry, teaching, trumpet, library upgrading. we went for ahike one day across the river, and that was a little treacherous. Climbed a mountain, which had great views and we got the lay of the land. It was pretty clear that there had been ruins which had been dug out . Passed a guinea pig farm, but they did not want a visit from us. Lots of volnteers now, 3 more! 2 from France, one from Australia.

Kids are getting ready for a festival next week to mark the end of their summer holidays, practicing dances. Dave is getting too, practising the Peruvian anthem. We seem to be over our stomach bugs for now! There are parrots in our garden, and fruits of all kinds in the orchard facing the school. Found where they keep the pigs, and learned that the nearby field is planted with the worlds best sweet potato! School has four dogs, four puppies, cats and kittens. we are leaving here March 8 to go to Huancayo, way up in the mountains, so high I am a little concerned. Project there is Blue Sparrow.

The internet cafe Im in is the pits. filled with loud teens (all boys) screaming at each other. Leaving you with fond thoughts!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1009.2kb