Day 5: Gringo Land


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
March 10th 2006
Published: March 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Larco Mar (aka what I like to call Gringo Land) is a shopping compound right on the coast of Lima, probably built by the Americans. The most Westerners I have seen at once in one place is here. They have a bowling alley, a shopping centre and even a Radio Shack. Its basically a mall built into a cliff overhanging the ocean, a refuggee camp for Gringos. No beggars allowed. They cant get in if they tried as the entrances are all protected by security guards. When the chaos of Lima gets to them, the Gringos all come here, I imagine some families probably dont even leave this place after they find it as it is a pretty relaxing atmosphere compared to the relative chaos of the rest of Lima.

Lima isnt that popular of a tourist destination, at least not compared to Cusco where Maccho Picchu is, the number 1 tourist attraction in South America.

And I have to admit hearing only the rush of the Pacific waves roll in (however polluted they may be) where I enjoy a Cusquena is a welcome change from the chaos of this city. For once there is no horns being honked, which
Karoke BarKaroke BarKaroke Bar

Blurry, just as it shoud be.
is almost a constant background noise in the city. In fact I pretty much wake up everyday at 8am because the noise is so great out at the traffic circle in front of the apartment.

Harold said there are more resort like places south of Lima where we are going to a beach party on sunday at one of the big wigs resort of the tropical hospital. All my mother really does all day and night is study tropical diseases. Harold has nick named her Geek Girl, which is pretty accurate, the only real break she takes is for dinner with us. And the apartment table is usually just a mess of study cards, and books and papers where she spends all her spare time studying tropical diseases, in total contrast really to the hard tourist life style I have grown accustomed to. Usuaslly a quick breakfast at Cafe Cafe then out to explore some attraction, then usually if we get back in time we will have a Chopp before going to meet her at home.

Anyways, The Mariott Hotel is just east and behind Gringo Land and the polluted Pacific on the other side where there is
The Beautiful PacificThe Beautiful PacificThe Beautiful Pacific

Wonderful veiw of the polluted Pacific.
a pretty empty beach with a couple of tourists and a snack stand that doesnt seem to be getting. Occasionally you see a car drive along the beach, but not too much action otherwise although I a little north we later saw some surfers by a park where there is a statue of 2 people having sex.

Its a strange dictomy in the public statues I have seen around here, there are either very sexual or completely Roman Catholic. Mother Mary seems to be one of the more popular ones, and I always seem to think of Peru as a very passionate people and all they really seem to care about is making out, football, Roman Catholiscism and selling anything they can to Westerners. I guess that is mostly a Western perspective on it but it wouldnt surprise me if it was somewhat accurate.

We were only there for about 2 hours but it was a pretty interesting walk down and nice mellow day compared to the otherwise hectic ones from the rest of this week. There seems to be quite a few of these 1st World like Compond shopping centres, that only the affluent are allowed into,
The CoastlineThe CoastlineThe Coastline

Gringoland is just to the center left.
but I somehow manage to sneak in anyways.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb