THe First Step


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
October 9th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lighthouse LimaLighthouse LimaLighthouse Lima

The coastal edge of Peru. Lighthouse and sunset
In June of 2006 I boarded a plane whose ultimate destination was to be Peru. The flight was long, but we chatted and watched the world change as it moved beneath us. Just after nightfall we landed in the capital city of Lima. Exhausted we were waiting for everyone to gather when I heard an incredible ruckus behind me. Large crowds were waiting and yelling on the other side of a fence, hoping to see their loved ones. We managed to excise ourselves from the situation and catch a bus to our destination. We were headed to the Castellana Hostel. Unpon our arrival, we were all thrilled to discover that we ad private rooms and showers! There was a TV in our room (for some reason the only movie we could get in was "Army of Darkness") and used it to brush up on our spanish.
Upon rising in the morning we ate in the courtyard, consuming large quantities of scrambled eggs and toast. THen we set out to enjoy the city we were the minrity in. We started out with a trip to the Plaza del Armas. This is the political seat of the country. Not far off was a Franciscan monestary that included a tour of the facility (the oldest church in Peru) and the catacombs underneath. Because this was a tourist hot spot, there were many stalls set up with items to purchase. I found great deals on jewelry with Lapis Lazuli and sterling. THe only issue I had with this area was a the plethora of pigeons in the plazza.
Closer in to our Hostel was a park where vendors would set up and display their wares. One restaurant in particular in this area is Haiti. Fantastic food and friendly towards caucasions. We were treated very well. That evening we walked to the shore, where a lighthouse stands guard over the coastline. THe mist was pulling from the sea as the sun began its retreat across the Pacific. The next morning we began our bus ride to Chao. And the story really begins there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb