Lima - The city of lights


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
October 8th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the trek, we took a day for some rest, and the next day we (Erez, me and Yaron that was with us in the trek) said goodbye to Huaraz and our nice hostel, and took a 9 hours bus to Lima.

Lima is a very big city, something like 8 million inhabitants, on the shore of the pacific ocean. It is covered with some kind of cloud-fog most of the year, due to some climatic phenomena (and probably pollution too). There are a couple of quarters that are considered the better ones for tourists (they're reacher and more modern) so we stayed in a hostel in one of them - Miraflores. And indeed - we were surrounded by modernism, and it was really fun!

On our first evening there we went a few blocks to the center of the district, where we had dinner in Mc'donalds, desert in Dunkin' Donuts and then watched a movie. The movie was in English (with Spanish subtitles), even though in that case understanding the dialogues wasn't that important - we watched "Pareja Explosiva 3" ("Rush Hour 3", a silly action movie).

The next morning Erez and I decided to split - Erez took a bus south to Ica with some of the other people that were with us in the trek, and Yaron and I stayed in Lima for some more celebrations. That morning we went to visit the old center of the city, with the cathedral, the main plaza etc. In the main plaza we saw some religious celebrations in which all the people had purple clothes, and there was also some dancing festivity in the nearby streets. We had lunch in a cheap eatery (and got a schnitzl that was thin as a piece of paper), and visited San Francisco monastery that was very interesting thanks to the guided tour they have. Later we took a walk in another rich quarter called Barranco that lies close to the ocean, so we had some good views from there. The modernism fun continued in the evening, when we had dinner in Pizza Hut (they made a mistake with our order, so we got to eat the pizza with the wrong ingredients and then get the right one to take home), watched another movie (intimic secrets or something like that) and had more dunkin' donuts.

On the next day we did
Religious celebrations in Lima's main plazaReligious celebrations in Lima's main plazaReligious celebrations in Lima's main plaza

From now on we will call it "the purple celebrations"
some arrangements, took a walk in another garden on the edge of the cliff above the ocean, had lunch in Burger King and many more dunkin' donuts. That was Lima for us, on the next morning we took a bus south to Ica and Huacachina, but this is another story...

One more thing - I forgot to write that in Huaraz, on the day before we went to the trek, I went with Dvir, Roy and Yaron (that were all with me in the trek) to do some rock climbing. It was very hard for the hands and none of us managed to climb very high, but at least we have some good pictures ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lima's cathedral after the celebrationsLima's cathedral after the celebrations
Lima's cathedral after the celebrations

Note the purple and white stripes...
Lima's shoreLima's shore
Lima's shore

Looks like they play a lot of soccer


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb