To Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
May 4th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Church of San Francisco in LimaChurch of San Francisco in LimaChurch of San Francisco in Lima

This church dates back to Spanish occupation and is home to the catacombs where over 70,000 people were buried.
Lima

We arrived in Lima, Peru on the 9th of April. We stayed in Miraflores (near the coast) for a few days and checked out some of the museums in town. The places we visited included a couple of churches that date back to the 16th Century, one that had tens of thousands of people buried underneath in Catacombs. The bodies have been excavated over the last two centuries and the bones have been laid out for the tourists - there was a space for femurs, a space for skulls etc.

From Lima we visited the ruins known as Pachacamac on the coast. This was a pre-Inca site extending over many hectares however when the Inca´s came along they decided to expand on it and build a temple to the sun. We were both amazed by the size and quality of the site.

Huacachina

Huancachina is an oasis town, nestled between sand dunes 4 kilometres from the regional centre of Ica. The town is built solely to serve tourists looking for adventures on the dunes, inlcuding sandboarding and dune buggying. We went on a mad ride across the dunes for two hours where we got to try our hand at sandboarding (take a look at Kirsty going down head first - cheating!). The driver was a madman - Kirsty had her eyes shut for two hours as the driver would go over the tops of dunes at 100km/h. Scariest were the drops off the high dunes... we would approach a peak not knowing what was on the other side, only to find out that it was a 15 metre, almost vertical drop.

When we went out to the restaurant in Huacachina we stumbled upon another place paying homage to Bob Marley.

The museum at Ica had some interesting artifacts including deformed skulls and a mummified Macaw!

Nazca

If it wasn´t for the lines, Nazca would be the most boring town on the planet. We took a half hour flight over the famous Nazca lines in a small Cessna plane, which consisted of the pilot banking steeply to each side and sticking out a pointed finger while yelling "monkey, monkey... left hand side Monkey!" The site includes numerous sketches of animals and geometric lines and shapes that go for kilometres in every direction and over mountain ranges. The lines and shapes across the desert
HuacachinaHuacachinaHuacachina

Township of Haucachina. It took Chris half an hour to climb the dune to take the photo. We stayed in the place with the big pool of course.


Overnight Chris suddenly developed into a tightarse after doing some crude calculations to try and figure out how much we were spending. As a result of his unneccessary panic, we took the ´cheaper' bus for the 10 hour ride to Arequipa. This meant our knees were under our chins and we couldn´t get any sleep. From this moment on we vowed to pay the extra few dollars and get the first class service on the long journeys.

Arequipa

Arequipa (3235m asl) is a city south of Lima that is surrounded by volcanoes and canyons. Juanita, 'the Ice Princess' was found nearby- a young girl who was sacrificed to the mountain gods during the Incan period, along with a few other children. We went to visit the museum where Juanita now lives. She wasn´t there, but another sacrifice (still frozen)was on display which was really amazing to see.

From Arequipa we took a two day trip to Canyon Del Colca - the second deepest canyon in the world at over 3000m deep. It is about twice the depth of the Grand Canyon. From there we did some Condor spotting and a couple of hikes that took in some pre-Inca tombs. It was on this trip that we got to experience altitude sickness for the first time. The bus trip went over one mountain pass at 4,800m. To put this into perspective, Mt Buller is 1800m. We both had headaches and felt sick. The only good thing is we are now hopefully 'acclimatised'and we wont have to go through the same thing when we get to Cusco. Chris tried chewing Coca Leaves (only legal in Peru and Bolivia) which was supposed to help. The only thing it really did was make the mouth numb.

Off to Cusco tonight, on a nice expensive bus...



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Nazca Lines - Geometric shapeNazca Lines - Geometric shape
Nazca Lines - Geometric shape

Chris took the co-pilot´s seat.
´The Monkey´ - Nazca Lines´The Monkey´ - Nazca Lines
´The Monkey´ - Nazca Lines

Monkeys aren´t found in this region but they are found in the Amazon.
Nazca LinesNazca Lines
Nazca Lines

Some have suggested that these geometric shapes and lines across the desert were landing strips for alien space craft. Some have suggested that the various lines and shapes are aligned with constellations.
Pre inca terracing and farm on the outskirts of Chivay villagePre inca terracing and farm on the outskirts of Chivay village
Pre inca terracing and farm on the outskirts of Chivay village

This quaint village is situated at 3650m asl. The terracing is still used today by the locals and dates back to the 13th century.


23rd April 2007

its alright for some ehh :P
hope you keep enjoying it and were looking forward to seeing you when you come over p.s. nice hat
24th April 2007

hello from parliament
hi kirsty helen sent me your site so have been checking for updates. looks like you are having a great time visiting out of the ordinary places. i am looking forward to seeing pics from machu picchu. envy your experiences. everyone says hello.
24th April 2007

peru-sing your peru things...
I am all agog and have a million questions about the Nazca lines. Had a giggle at Chris's "cost-cutting" exercise. I ONLY travel first class so I can get a decent 3rd-class 3rd-world experience. I note Chris's tightarse phase must have extended to the headwear.... or he is singlehandedly keeping the alpaca-product industry afloat. (aww just kidding pumpkin!). By the way you are part of my show and tell at Victoria Police. They need a bit of horizon-expanding. Hugs!
24th April 2007

It was only 7 soles.
I got a hat for everyone... yours is a lovely shade of lime green. Yummy!
24th April 2007

Hey Luke!
Good to here from you. I´m looking forward to seeing you guys too. Want a hat? I can get one for you...
26th April 2007

taking a break
hi guys, my next lesson was cancelled so I thought I'd check up on your little adventure. Chris I would love a hat like that A mate of mine whos from Kenya brought me back a kakori (basically its a skirt) and i think it would match it. Anyway, some of us have exams to revise for so its back to work for me. rikunakusun
27th April 2007

Jelous!
Hey Guys, Looks like you are having a ball, nothing has changed back here except we have our wedding date booked, March 21st 2008 ! Hope you can make it!!! Got your email we will pass this blog onto Steve. Give us a call when you can i know we keep missing each other but we have to catch each other sooner or later. Take Care guys, talk soon xoxox
2nd May 2007

hi
hi guys, looks like ur having a good time, cant wait to see you both. i will be coming to matts wedding, me auntie kay and peter, at the moment, i am on bed rest in hospital, had a little problem with chest pain, nothing to worry about , cusoon xxx
2nd May 2007

Great news
Fantastic to hear you will be out for the wedding. That will be terrific! Hope the chest is ok. Chris
3rd May 2007

Update
Hey guys - loving those pic's you have added. Looks like you guys are having the most amazing experiences. Too much information about dead bodies!!! All good back here - we are now in our new place and LOVING it! House warming planned 1st week of June (mask party hmmm). Scored a massive plasma so can't wait to have you guys around to watch the Bombers play :-) Take care xoxo Tam

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb