My first trip to Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
January 23rd 2021
Published: January 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

6th January - Barranco - Lima

Barranco is situated along the Pacific Coast, one of 43 Districts in Lima.

It has earned a reputation as the Bohemian District because of its bright buildings, street art & charming streets.



Barranco was originally a fishing village. Legend has it that a group of fishermen lost in the sea mist at last saw a distant light and rowed toward it. When they came ashore, they found that in the spot where they had seen the light was nothing but a wooden cross in the sand, and built the church.



In the main plaza we viewed the statue of Chabuca Granda, Peru’s beloved poet, composer and folk singer. Next to Chabuca is the sculpture of a Peruvian riding horse, the subject of one of her songs.



There were several young ladies dressed in prom style dresses to celebrate their quinceaños - 15th birthday, marking their time into womanhood.



Just a short walk from the main plaza we came to the Bridge of Sighs, known as one of the most romantic places in Lima.

The story goes that a rich young
woman falls in love with a street sweeper. Forbidden by her father to be with the love of her life, she spends her days sighing from her window hoping to see him again.

That's just one of the legends surrounding the origins of this small pedestrian bridge's name. Today, legend has it that if you can hold your breath while walking the length of the entire bridge, which is 144-feet (44 meters) long, your wish will come true.

As Vanessa, our guide walked the bridge we all held our breath.



We continued our walk through the narrow streets, passing colourful street art & traditional buildings and eventually arrived at a spot overlooking the cliffs and beach.

A very interesting tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement





Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb