Peruvian New Years; 2010!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Prospero Anio Peruano 2010


We spent New Years and Day with the Cuba Family in Villa Maria del Triunfo. What an experience full of contrasts!



Villa Maria del Triunfo is, well, rather rough. But, all of the people we met there were friendly, happy, welcoming. There is a feeling of being content that one has when surrounded by nothing but family and friends, and all else is irrelevant. The preoccupation of how much you have and how much you do not have is gone. Instead your focus is on a connectedness, on the moment, on just being. It is really quite refreshing and enriching.

I have often heard people comment on how people in Latin America are lacking. I automatically and always wonder ‘if so, how so, and why’. My perception and conclusion is this: Because a person does not have an abundance of things, an abundance of money, an abundance of savings, does not and should not infer that they are lacking. Actually, a lack of an abundance of whatever may be a blessing; have not and want not. I have spent a fair amount of time in Latin America and what stands out most to me is value, tradition, discipline, respect, courtesy, acceptance, togetherness. Certainly I appreciate all of the opportunity available to me in the United States, but to view another culture from our own standards and cultural values and traditions creates a barrier to understanding and appreciation.

So, although Villa Maria del Triunfo was rather rough, it was equally and more so enriching, refreshing, and enjoyable. I suppose the best I can say is have an open heart and an open mind, or when in Rome expect Rome and not home!



Ok, so off my soap box and back to New Years with the Cuba’s. We had a wonderful time! We drank many, many, many drinks. At midnight we each received a dish of 12 grapes (although we did not eat them under the table), we lit fireworks, we set a life-size effigy on fire to rid ourselves of bad juju (or something of the sort), and we ate a turkey and beef dinner. We stayed awake until dawn dancing, laughing, drinking. I have to say the Peruvians know how to throw a party and I am honored and thrilled to have been a part of it!


New Years Day, well, not much happened!





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

She was really into the song!She was really into the song!
She was really into the song!

Miguel's friend Ray's mother
Villa Maria del TriunfoVilla Maria del Triunfo
Villa Maria del Triunfo

"gated community"


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb