Pachacamac


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
January 22nd 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pachacamac - meaning ¨he who created land and time¨:
A major city that saw four distinct cultures 1)Lima Culture - the oldest, 2,000 yrs ago 2) Wari 3)Ychsma and lastly the 4) Inca 600 yrs ago. This was the biggest city to survive due to it´s conivenient location. Eventhough desert surronds it, a nearby river and ocean produced plenty of food and water for it´s inhabitants.

The city at some point housed a ¨Nunery¨ of about 200 women that were picked for their pureness (virginity) and beauty so as to at some point serve as Wives for the elite or to be used as human scarifices. Fortresses wee built around the complex and guards stood around to protect these women. But, these guards were castrated and had their faces burned so that there wouldn´be any chance for them to fall in love with these ¨speacial women¨.

It was speculated that the city thrived with about 15 thousands inhabitants.

A special plaza had niches for mummies. Some of the mumies were even taken to ceremonail rites so that they too could watch the rituals.

Visiting the ruins was by far the coolest thing so far! The landscape was eery, you saw desert, sand for miles, then you had lil oasis of greenery and then you had these enormous plazas. It is too sad that the spaniards came to wipe out, over several hundreds of years, millions of people. Out of 12 million, 1 million survided the ordeal.

If you get a chance to visit these ruins, I highly recommend getting yourself a guid at the entrance. It is money well worth spent!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



22nd January 2009

Hi sweetie, happy to know your money is getting well worth spent and what a wonderful historic siting you saw, keep them coming....love you.

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb