Welcome to the jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
March 13th 2014
Published: March 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After the inca trail, Frankie and I spent a day in Cuzco. We used the morning to have a lie in and then went out exploring some of the sights, sounds and tastes of the city.

The next morning, we were headed back to the airport to fly to a town called Puerto Maldonado in the amazon rainforest. We then took a boat down the tambopata river to the lodge where we would spend two nights. The weather was hot, with about 80% humidity and although our bungalow was about as cool as it could be, it was pretty sticky!

That evening, we went out on a night walk around the lodge and saw lots of different insects and creepy crawlies. We had a few minutes where we turned off all of our torches and were just surrounded by the sounds of the jungle. That was pretty cool!

The next day we had breakfast early and went back out up the river for a tour of the flora and fauna. We saw worker ants, bats, vultures, crickets, grasshoppers and a tarantula. In the afternoon, we went to a tropical fruit farm and sampled some of the fruits (including a particularly sour star fruit and spicy fish eye chilli) before taking a walk around the farm. In the evening, our guide gave us a talk on caymen and we went out in search of the alligator like creatures on the boat. We saw a couple but I was actually rather taken with the stars, which were beautifully clear without the light pollution.

After our trip to the jungle, we returned to the capital city, Lima. We spent our last day and a half enjoying some of the amazing seafood which can be found here (ceviche, tuna tartare, lobster ravioli, shrimp soup, fettuccine with seafood) and visiting the markets and a pre inca archaeological site.

We've had an amazing time on our trip and I have experienced a part of the world that I have been longing to come to for a very long time. Thank you so much for sharing my experience with me and to everyone who left me messages which made me smile along the way.

We'll be back in London on Friday morning! Booooooooooooooooo.

X


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb