Peru - Lesmahgow Work Group 2009


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
July 13th 2009
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Peru - There and Back Again


The AndesThe AndesThe Andes

View from the top of Macchu Picchu. Simply breathtaking.
Peru - There and Back Again

Monday 13th July 2009

La Gran Aventura del Peru. And so the journey begins once more. Readers who know me, know the impact that my visit to Peru last year made and will no doubt not be surprised that I have returned. Peru is a country of stark contrasts, with the indisputable beauty of the High Andes and the spectacular Macchu Picchu which should never fail to have an impact on any one who sees it. The historical Cusco and the Spanish influences which have changed and shaped much of the country. On the flip side is the poverty in the shanty towns, millions upon millions of people living on a few pennies a day, children dying of cold in areas where the winter weather is having a terrible effect, and hundreds of thousands children of all ages living on streets and hiding wherever they can find cover surviving by whatever means at their disposal. More children under the age of 5 have so far died of cold, than there have been victims to the Swine Flu and yet very few know this as it is not of general news worth.

A
Cusco from aboveCusco from aboveCusco from above

Aerial view of the town of Cusco from one of the restaurants perched above.
country of contrasts indeed.

And once more this trip promises to be full of many highs and lows.

Our purpose: to work at the childrens homes in Urubamba and Yungay. The plan as it is at the moment is to spend one week in the Sacred Valley, followed by one week in the High Andes. Building fences, digging ditches, making mud bricks. General labouring to help out in the construction of the boys homes. The homes are funded via The Vine Trust - Scottish charity, and are run and managed by the Scripture Union, Peru.

And so it begins.

Gordon and I have reached Lima a day ahead of the rest of the group, as we have travelled via Florida. Been in Lima for 5 minutes and have already been ripped off. We fell for the 'authorised' taxis desk within the arrivals centre of the airport who mananged to convince us into imparting $50 dollars for a trip that should have only cost us $20. Live and learn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

14,000 ft14,000 ft
14,000 ft

The Andes - part of the Corillera Blanca mountains. Air thin, a tad on the cold side and no running around!
The Flip SideThe Flip Side
The Flip Side

The Peru not part of the city tour.
Des ResDes Res
Des Res

Who lives in a house like this? Would you?


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb