In the beginning...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A long time coming....



Starting off in Lima we arrived to a city that we didnt know much about. From the initial rush of starting our travels Lima was truthfully a little bit of a let down on arriva and fisrt impressions. The sun was not shining and a thick pollution cloud hung over the city. We spent the first few days of our tripwondering the streets of Miraflores unimpressed and ready to move on to see the real peru!

Catching a 14 hour over night bus seemed daunting, but a fully reclining seat, a waitress serving food and Alvin and the Chipmunks movie helped pass the time. The truth is, it was the most comfortable bus ever!

We arrived in Arequipe the next morning. The nights bus ride had been eventful - high on mountain passes our bus driver was doing in the region of 80mph and overtaking everything on blind corners and bends. At one point he stopped the bus got and nearly had a fight with a driver of a car who would nt let the bus pass him!

Arequipe however was a welcome sight and was what we expected to see from a Peruvian town. We stayed at an amzazing Hostal, an old colonial building with privated batch, queen size bed and amazing views of El Misti volcano. It even had its own pool! Typical backpackers accommodation. But it was 9 pounds a night.

From Arequipe we done a day white water rafting on some class 4 rapids, and a colca canyon trip for 2 days - both spectacular scenery. Eating in Arequipe has its differences from home - guinea pig one night and raw seafood in lemon juice the next (called cerviche) To be honest both terrible!

From Arequipe it was another bus ride to Cuzco, overnight again. Here was our base for alot of trips we had planned. We took a short flight into the Amazon, and stayed in a jungle lodge. Night walks tosee the wildlife were eventful seeing snakes, frogs, tarantulas, caymans and monkeys.

On arrival back we went straight into the Inca trail. The 4 days were extremly beautiful, and not hard at all. Day 2 was a little tougher as went near 5000 Meters but apart from that it was amazing. On arrival on the last day at the sun gate abouve macchu picchu was a sight I will never forget and was truly breath taking and overwhelming. The ruins lie in a cauldron of surrounding mountains, as we got there early the sun had not risen over them yet so we sat in a place in the ruins and watched as the sun came over the mountains and bathed the cith in sun light. It was the most amazing thing i have ever seen and we were both lost for words. Pictures could not do the beauty justice but we tried as hard as we could to get some great photos.

On arrival back in Cuzco, it was time to celebrate. But shortly after we caught a bus to Puno. Here we travelled on one of the highest navigable lakes in the world, Lake Titicaca. We visited a tribe of people who live on the floating isalnds of river reeds, which was quite surreal to walk on. We visted the Island of Uros and stayed the night with a local family, a great experience. We got dressed up in traditional wear and MADE TO dance like fools to the loudest drum beat we have ever heard. A few beers made the proceedings easier to cope with.

That was it for us in Peru - we now had new pastures awaiting for us in Bolivia.....




Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb