Peru so far . .


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
October 22nd 2007
Published: October 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We appear to have very bad luck when we travel from one place to another. The bus I was about to catch after I wrote my last blog wasn´t the best.

We were supposed to leave at 6pm then eventually left at 8.30pm. That wasn´t too bad but we reached the border at 12.30am due to running late and this resulted in the border between ecuador and peru being CLOSED until 4.30am. Not good, as it was supposed to be a 24hour journey which was getting longer and longer by the second.

We thought to ourselves it wont be too bad as we could get some sleep on the bus until the border re-opened. Oh no, not a chance of that because we had a husband and wife with an annoying kid on board. However the kid wasnt the problem it was the couple who had the loudest,strangest snore we both had ever heard.

Met two girls from Finland. Anne Marie and Pier, Pier gave us a set of ear plugs to share bless her, but one each didnt really make a difference to be fair.

Anyway, once we left ecuador and entered Peru it wasnt too bad. Managed to sleep some, eat some of the dodgy food and eventually ignored the bugs which were crawling round us.

Got to Peru at 2am the following morning a good 8 hours later than we should have arrived. As it was late we shared a taxi with Anne Marie and Pier. Taxi told us the hostel we wanted to go to would be shut (bollucks was it) but couldnt be bothered to argue so went to the one he clearly gets commission from. Wasnt too bad, bit over priced and we had to share with Anne Marie and Pier.

Didnt like the fact we were tricked into staying there so went to the cheap hostel we planned on staying in the first place. Was another shared dorm but much cheaper. Cant remember the peoples names who we shared with but the german guy made us listen to some of his music which was a bit dodgy.

Found that there wasnt actually much to do in Lima and were advised to be careful if we went into central lima. Decided to go to these ruins of an old temple and pyramid. Was actually very cool. The guide was really nice and spoke good english and we had the tour all by ourselves.

Both found it interesting because 20 years ago it was just a mound and they finally investigated and found the temple and pyramid and mummies and skeletons etc. No treasure yet though. Nik thought I took way too many photos though (I must admit I get carried away when I get into it - may regret it later).

Tipped the guide and then sat in the restaurant. He recommended we try Peru´s traditional alcoholic drink of Pisco Sour. so we did. Not thr best idea in the afternoon as its very strong so felt quite light headed and time for a nap nap.

Went for a walk down to the seafront then went back for a nap.

Decided to go to a restaurant recommended by the lonely planet guide that night. Forgot to tell you in the last blog. If you remember, I said we found out our lonely planet guide was 10 years old, well really needed a new one and canadian Mary from our Galapagos cruise said we could borrow hers and send it back to her once we finished travelling. She only needed thr Quito, Ecuador section so ripped that out and gave us thr book (2007 edition). We were so chuffed, going to send her a present from Argentina as she gave us loads of advice as well.

The taxi driver could not find our restaurant so asked a policeman, turns out its right on the seafront, go down some steps and theres a massive mall. Really strange as its built in among thr cliffs. Found our restaurant but had seen another one by then which was really cheap. Drank Peruvian wine and ate seafood paella. We felt really traditional until the musician started singing thr beatles and every other british song you can think of. Loved it though so wasnt complaining.

Had a really nice night though. We left at 6am the next morning to catch thr 7am bus to Ica as there wasnt much else we coud have done in Lima.





Advertisement



23rd October 2007

Hello :)
The trip so far sounds amazing! Glad you are having a great time and love reading your little blogs.... take loads of photos love ya both lots Ali xx p.s carly i love learning all the little facts so keep telling them

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb