Lima last day before meeting group


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
January 31st 2012
Published: January 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Incan pyramidIncan pyramidIncan pyramid

Side of the pyramid
Someone blocked the toilet again!! No names mentioned but it wasn't the same person as yesterday.... it must be the room/could not be us. Both of us woke up early so down for breakfast at just after 7 and nothing to do until everywhere opens. Walked down the road about 20 minutes away from the hotel to see one of the local inca monuments .... a pyramid-type structure slap bang in the middle of a built up area. Workmen - or possibly archaeologists - were scraping bits away in a roped off area at the top and seemed to be sorting through rubble and pottery shards. Others seemed to be repairing the stone work. Steep ramp to the top could double as a ski run in the winter!! Small visitors' centre which no doubt explained all about everything but needless to say, nothing in English.

Took a taxi back to Lima centre and went to the Museum of the Inquisition where there was a free half-hour tour in English. Unfortunately, the guide's accent was extremely guttural and it took a lot of concentration to understand. Don't ask Ed about it on our return!! Shown the basement dungeons and some of
Incan pyramidIncan pyramidIncan pyramid

Local with dog
the torture methods - not a good era to live in........................ No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...... We were advised by our guide that all the information about the museum's contents is on the internet in English, which is pretty unhelpful after the event.

We then went on to the Museum of Gastronomy which would have been quite interesting had we been able to understand the information - again all in Spanish but hey!

We wandered round the shopping area and found a small local restaurant heaving with people - no tourists. A two-course menu for the equivalent of 1.50 GBP although we chose from the Executive Menu and really splashed out for 2 GBP each. Food was basic but really fresh and made to order. Mineral water added another 25p each.

Wandered past a few more shops and made some enquiries about a prepay sim card for our time in Peru. However, it all seemed unduly complicated - it clearly isn't the norm to choose prepay as the streets are lined with shops vieing for contracts on the two networks they have here. Did manage to purchase an ice cream but suspect we shall need to be more careful when we visit far-flung rural places!

Taxi ride back to hotel. Feel we are now ready to move on from Lima and looking forward to meeting the group at our next hotel tomorrow night with a briefing meeting at 6 pm.

Took everything we have worn since our arrival to the local 'lavanderia' which we shall collect tomorrow morning, hopefully not too many sizes smaller or blacker!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb