¡La aventura comienza! (The adventure begins!)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
April 29th 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Love parkLove parkLove park

Clifftop park at Miraflores, Lima
Panic set in a couple of days before leaving as we found that our phone would not work in South America, which meant buying new phone, transferring data and then learning how to use the new one.

Arrived in Beunos Aires to a sea of people in facemasks. Text from home to say that Swine flu confirmed in Auckland - so we are probably safer over here!! Flight was OK (Aerolinas Argentina Airbus 340) but now appreciate all the little extras that Thai Air provides. Both the aircraft and the crew were a bit tired, but food was OK, beer drinkable and got a decent sleep so can't complain.

Quite excited on the plane as I could understand the odd spanish word, still a long way from understanding exactly what they were saying but nice to know that I'm on the right track.

Long wait in BA (4.5 hours), no camio (money change) in transit area and prices through the roof so gambled that dinner would be served on the Lima flight. Flight was good although very cramped and dinner was served. In the other seat in our row was a woman from Milford on an extended trip
MirafloresMirafloresMiraflores

Path to beach - not!!
through South America who was joining a Gap tour to Machu Pichu leaving four hours after we arrived at midnight.

Lima terminal was much nicer and better laid out than BA and our transfer was there as arranged ($18 USD for 2 people). Hostel room (Stop and Drop Hostal $18.37 Aus PP double with private bathroom) was not quite as shown on the webpage but was OK. Got to bed at around 1AM - about 22 hours after leaving Auckland.

Trouble sleeping initially but finally dropped off and woke at about 11AM. Spent the day walking around to orientate ourselves and finally ended up at a large shopping mall on the cliffs overlooking the beach. Saw several shops with minerals for sale during our travels but only one with specimens (pyrite) in reasonable condition and prices for these were skyhigh.

Found nice Italian cafe just off the square behind the Flying Dog Hostel. Reasonable prices although when Jill asked for a wine she was told she could not have one, so we ordered two more beers instead - which never arrived. After paying the bill some people at another table told us that the cafe had runout of wine and beer.

Things did not improve much the next morning when we were told that the hostel was fully booked and we could not extend our stay. Managed to get on a bus the same day to Paracas, with accom there, trip to Ballestas Islands, then onwards trip to Arequipa on sleeper bus ($110 USD pp). Bus travel was all with Cruz Del Sur, luxury buses with onboard meals and toilets. Only problem was that when we arrived in Paracas the padlock on Jills bag had been cut off, presumably when we checked them in early at the terminal. Nothing appeared to be missing fortunately.

Before leaving Lima we had time to revisit the Indian markets and buy ouselves the obligatory knitted woollen hats with Peru and Llamas on them along with attached tassels! I also came across a shop selling minerals, where I bought few small pieces. Had a number of superb pyrite caves and some tetrahedral pyrite, all out of my price range and would also pay havoc with my baggage allowance. They also had some nice small cabinet specimens of wire silver, might have been interested in a micro. Most specimens had locality labels as well and were generally in good to fine condition.

Would have preferred to spend at least one more day in Lima but was nice to finally leave the City and start to see the real countryside.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb