Seeing the sites of Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
January 12th 2019
Published: April 2nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

Writing this as I pack up to leave Lima. We're flying to Cuzco in the morning. We've been here for 4 days and I've really liked the city. Our OAT tour group under the very able leadership of Raul has started. Only 5 additional people, 4 of them women, and all seem very easy going and friendly. We did go on the big tour bus yesterday to get to Central Lima but we've also traveled on public buses and trams, which has been fun. Buses in Lima always look crowded as are the roads. Too many people for the space in this city.
So what did we see and do in Lima these past 2 days? A good bit of sightseeing: Took public bus to Huaca P to see pre Inca ruins. Amazing that this mud brick massive Oracle is so much in tact and survived even a 8.5 earthquake. Its a UNESCO site that's being excavated and researched actively now. What is known is the history of human sacrifice, of women in particular, in HP. Toured the San Francisco church and the catacombs below. Lots of skulls and femur bones on display (learned that femur is the strongest bone in the body which is why these survived and others did not). Spent time in the Plaza of the Arma's..A beautiful European looking very large square surrounded by government buildings, and churches. We watched the changing of the guard in front of the Presidential Palace, (played a Paul Simon song for part of the ceremony??) went out for lunch, and did some shopping. Took the public tram back to the hotel.
And of course we're doing lots of eating and drinking. Buffet breakfast at the hotel each morning and the tour included the last 2 dinners. That food's been OK but not very exciting.
One night went on a walking evening tour of Barranca that included 3 drinking stops, tasting pisco and learning about it at the P Bar, tasting beers at the Barranco beer company and watching a bartender make pisco sours at the. . And drinking those too, of course. It was fun but also the guide told us about growing up in Lima during the time when the Shining Path terrorist group was terrorizing the country in the 80s. He was a young child then and his story was slot about parents not telling their children what was going on, even when their windows were blown out by bombs. So much has changed in the country since then. Another guide had talked about it being 30 dictator-free years in Peru, but certainly not corruption free.
I ended last night by going to the supermarket in Miraflores, just cause I like to see what's being sold and what it looks like. Well, it looked like Whole Food's with Spanish labels.
As I I'm writing this I'm on the flight from Lima to Cuzco. Again the airport was new and very up-to-date. I'm looking forward to the next leg of this P eruvian adventure. Stay tuned.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb