Exploring Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Barranco
January 14th 2010
Published: January 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had chosen to stay in a wee neighborhood called Barranco near the coast, its a pretty little bohemian place with lots of Arty shops and restaurants around there is a great vibe to the place, it seems to be an area that has come into its own and established itself as the place to be for an easy going cultural experience in Lima.

We started with lunch in a place called Rustico in the Parque Municipal, it was a buffet lunch and at 28 soles a plate we thought it was a wee bit pricey, wrong, the food was incredible, you could eat as much as you wanted, it was criollo Peruvian fare which is very rich and hearty, lots of stews, meats creamy sauces, those of you who prefer vegetarian options this place is not recommended.

Needing a walk after the glutinous lunch we saw the churches in Pargue municipal, walked over the bridge of sighs (not sure why its called this) looking down on Barranco's little restaurant neighbourhood and along to the viewpoint overlooking the marina, very pretty and relaxed. The exhibition that was in Quito a few months back with the cows in various shapes, colours and disguises is now in Lima, they are plastic life size cows painted or adorned differently and they are everywhere, each cow is sponsored by a local business. We jumped a cab and off to Miraflores, just a note about taxi drivers here, they are generally crooks, you look like a gringo for sure you will be treated like one, I have used taxies in many countries throughout the world and at times they have tried to take the piss, come on you kind of expect it at times but in Lima they are cheeky articles, prices were at times hiked up 300%. its frustrating and we refused many taxies because of this.

Miraflores has neatly tended parks and streets and is Gringolandia, every street caters for the tourist and the ex-pat. We went to one of the artisania markets and the silver is everything I heard about it, its stunning, We didn't indulge but think that might be rectified tomorrow, Went for a beer in an English pub called the Ole Pub, had a chat with a few ex-pats and headed home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb