A run of bad luck, but a fresh start in Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lambayeque » Chiclayo
March 30th 2007
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Despite the bag fiasco, Riikka and I were determined to carry on enjoying ourselves, so we took a day trip into the jungle near Puyo with guide Patricio to see the flora and fauna and visit an indigenous community. After a flat tyre and some injuries from near-miss falls we were beginning to feel a bit jinxed so managed to arrange a “cleansing” by the Shamen in the local community. A very interesting experience, involving cigarette smoke, stones, magic leaves, special perfume and lots of chanting. Unfortunately, we seem to have got a shortened version (without the guinea pig “x-rays”) and despite the Shamen’s claims that the negative engeries (lots apparently!) had been eliminated, and that we would get our bags back in 3-4 days, the next few days weren’t the best - and we’re still waiting for the bags!

So the delights of the next few days included:


Terrible weather for the first half of the Devil’s Nose train ride, which isn’t the best when you don’t have proper warm clothes or wet weather gear and are going to be sitting on the roof.

A extra 10 hr round trip (plus overnight stay in the
Up on the roofUp on the roofUp on the roof

Kitted out in the latest outdoor gear...on the roof of a train...at dawn...in the rain. Were we mad?
middle) as in my newfound paranoia of losing anything else I hid some things in my hotel room in Puyo, in fact hid them so well I forgot I had done this, and had to go back for them.

Camera problems

A chest infection.

A terrible hotel in Loja, thanks to the taxi driver dropping me off in the wrong street in the middle of the night and me being too knackered to start wandering around looking for another taxi. (By this time I was on my ownsome, having said goodbye to Riikka in Cuenca as she needed to head back to Quito.)

A missed bus to Peru as the woman at the office in Catacocha gave me the wrong information, later sent me off in a taxi on a wild goosechase to try to catch the bus, and then had conveniently disappeared by the time I was back in the office and on the warpath.


BUT

Somehow everything changed when I reached Peru.

The unplanned night-time border crossing was smoother than expected (although a bit slow thanks to the sleeping customs officials and couple of middle-aged Germans who couldn’t speak Spanish
Catacocha 1Catacocha 1Catacocha 1

Catacocha, with viewpoint "Mirador de Shiriculapo" - apparently a local lovers' leap - in the background. My bus to Peru would have been passing by around now. Grrrr!
or English and were struggling to fill in the necessary forms - lots of pointing and hand signals here as my German amounts to the numbers 1-10 and “I am drunk”)

I stayed in a very friendly hotel in Chiclayo, from where I did some more much-needed clothes shopping and ventured to Tucume (Valley of the pyramids) and a couple of other museums. The highlight of the museums had to be the fascinating Museo de las Tumbas Reales de Sipan, where the findings of the first scientific excavation of a tomb of its kind (i.e. the first one which hasn't already been looted of its gold by the Spanish or more recent bounty seekers) are on display. Funnily enough I bumped into the Germans again there. This time they were with a dutch couple who were able to translate!

The next evening I took an overnight bus down the coast to Lima (a very nice bus and, taking no chances, I even paid the extra £4 to upgrade to first class). From there I was going to start the organised part of my trip. And, despite my initial reservations about being confined to a group instead of travelling independently, this tour was REALLY fantastic (see next entries).



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Tyre changeTyre change
Tyre change

Not the best start to our first outing since "The bags"
Jungle JacuzziJungle Jacuzzi
Jungle Jacuzzi

We were lucky enough to have it to ourselves for a bit before 3 coachloads of noisy Ecuadorians arrived and started taking pictures of us/with us. Luckily we were suitably attired having found Puyo's one and only bikini shop the night before!
With the ShamenWith the Shamen
With the Shamen

in his "normal" gear unfortunately
train view 1train view 1
train view 1

View from train on Devil's Nose train ride
train view 2train view 2
train view 2

View from train on Devil's nose train ride. Thankfully it finally stopped raining so we could enjoy the views.
train view 4train view 4
train view 4

defrosting
train view 5train view 5
train view 5

Inca face??
Cuenca 3Cuenca 3
Cuenca 3

View of San Francisco Market from my hotel toom
Loja - parque centralLoja - parque central
Loja - parque central

Nice town - as long as your taxi driver drops you off at the right hotel
Loja - Calle LourdesLoja - Calle Lourdes
Loja - Calle Lourdes

Apparently the oldest colonial street in Loja
CatacochaCatacocha
Catacocha

Looking towards the viewpoint/lovers' leap - it's a 150m drop
CatacochaCatacocha
Catacocha

View from the Mirador
Tucume, near ChiclayoTucume, near Chiclayo
Tucume, near Chiclayo

Remains at the "Valley of the Pyramids"
Tucume, near ChiclayoTucume, near Chiclayo
Tucume, near Chiclayo

Pyramid remains
Tucume, near ChiclayoTucume, near Chiclayo
Tucume, near Chiclayo

pyramid remains


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb