Caballitos de Totora


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Huanchaco on 22 June. Our hostel is no more than 7USD for a room. This was a lot cheaper seeing that we paid 30USD in Mancora. The weather here is a lot like Humboldt County, cloudy and on the cooler side.

I ended up talking to a local fisherman that told me about their Caballitos de Totora, which are hand made boats they use to catch fish. They cultivate their own reeds at the edge of town. Generations ago they used to get them from a near by ruin (Chan Chan), but after they discovered gold and other treasures there la Administracion de Cultura (?) closed it off to locals. his greatgrandfather managed to get the Totora seeds and replant them at today's local spot. They harvest this 3meter high plant every ten months and dry then for 2mo. Each boat lasts about 2 months. We got to sit in one, but not ride in them since the waves were too high...we'll see if we could ride them before we leave today.

Yesterday we checked out the local ruins...the most impressive one was la Huaca de La Luna...if you get a chance, check this out... it has gone no restration and still have an amazing feeling...standing next to the mountain where they sacraficed people and seeing all the path of those being sacraficed on the wall....AMAZING... this minimally describes this place!

We will be heading out of Huanchaco today to hit Huaraz. We'll see how that goes since we will be going from 0 elevation to 10,200ft. Here we will hopefully trek in the Andes after aclimating to the area (2days).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Painting Painting
Painting

Here is mural found in town of people fishing on the caballitos de totora. But Luis told us that you normally sit on it like you would a horse or are on your knees.
Luis-local fisherman (not in fishing clothes)Luis-local fisherman (not in fishing clothes)
Luis-local fisherman (not in fishing clothes)

Here are the infamous Caballitos de Totora.


24th June 2007

fotos
jesssica!! tienes fotos!!!???

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb