La Oroya Survey


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » La Oroya
June 11th 2010
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

(Sorry for two similar posts in one day. This survey should be easier to access than the last survey I sent. Please check it out and forward the link to everyone you know!)

Dear friends,


This is a critical time for the people of La Oroya, Peru, and we need to hear YOUR VOICE in order to help them.


Here is a 5 QUESTION (YES/NO) SURVEY regarding demands being made to the government of Peru by the company Doe Run Peru that will negatively affect the people and environment of La Oroya. Please take 3 minutes to fill it out. For an introduction to the issue, please read below:


La Oroya is one of the ten most contaminated cities in the world (according to Blacksmith Institute). The population finds itself gravely effected by the contamination produced by the Metallurgical Complex operated by the mining company Doe Run Peru. This company belongs to the North American billionaire, Ira Rennert. Thirteen years ago the company committed itself to investing in the modernization of the metallurgical complex through the state mandated Environmental Clean-Up Program (known in Peru as the PAMA). To date, the company has not finished its commitment despite the fact that the mandated time frame has expired and despite that various extensions have been provided.

In the United States, the holding company, Renco Group, for Doe Run Peru has invested in new technologies at its smelter in Herculaneum, Missouri in order to meet the regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States .

After many years of economic profit (the net gains of Doe Run Peru by the end of 2008 were $508 million - La Republica 28/03/2009), the mining company inexplicably declared itself in a state of economic and financial crisis. In June of 2009, it then halted the operations of the Metallurgical Complex in La Oroya, ceasing to fulfill its contracted obligations with its workers and creditors. In the face of this situation, the Peruvian State has tried to help the company through various opportunities to escape this crisis. Nonetheless, the company has taken advantage of the State in order to escape its responsibilities. And today, the start up of the plant comes with conditions placed by Doe Run Peru, which has placed new demands before the State.

IF the Peruvian State consulted with you about these demands by Doe Run Peru, what would you say?


Please take 3 minutes to fill out THIS SURVEY.



THANK YOU!


Advertisement



16th June 2010

unjust and irresponsible
Based on the information in your report, I think Renco is irresponsible and greedy. They are irresponsible because they created a very successful business for themselves and the Peruvians, but they are not cleaning up the contaminated land and water in the area. They are irresponsible and greedy because they shut down the financially successful plant without sharing the profits with the now-unemployed Peruvians. They have unjustly punished the Peruvian workers who have fallen victims to their decision to not only close the plant, but also keep the profits for themselves and neglect cleaning up their polluted waste materials.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb