Ancient lines and bags of vomit!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nazca LinesNazca LinesNazca Lines

Not sure which one this is but you get the idea.
Okay this is my(Danielle) version of the Nazca lines flight.

Cool I hope we get to the Nazca lines soon, wow there they are (plane starts banking around) oh that´s really cool (plane starts to bank again). Eyes start watering and spit starts to accumulate (flying in the direction of another line) here it comes... the vomit (plane starts to bank again) oh my god I am going to spew again (plane banks again) oh my god I am going to vomit. No idea where I am no idea how many lines we have passed (Ben vomits) "there is the monkey" I look out the window (I vomit). When are we going to land??????????????????????????? I feel so sickkkkkk.

Oh my god get me out of here, plop onto a bench.
"Lady do you want alcohol to smell?"
"Do you want book?"
Leave me here to die in peace please!

Ben´s version is slightly different to mine. Ben saw all of the lines except for one, the one where he vomited. The view he thought was spectacular, the lines, very mystical.

There are a number of theories on their existence. Offerings to the gods, representations of
After the flightAfter the flightAfter the flight

Just leave me alone!
constellations and (of course) that they were made by aliens. I think they were probably offerings made using constellations as inspiration, it makes sense.

Anyhow I spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool while the others swam and had a great time. I recovered enough to make it out to the cemetery where we saw more mummies. There were buried in holes in the ground and the dry sand had preserved a number of mummies. This gravesite contained mummies and bones from a number of eras.

It is so interesting to see the different levels of preservation. Many of these mummies had long hair which was a sign of health and stature in society. It was so windy there and just sand. The guide was very passionate about the topic but was hard to follow as she sidetracked a lot and gave us her opinion on tourism in Peru among other things.

That night we were treated to a special meal with a ceremony. The meal is called Pachamanka. They cook the food in the ground with hot coals much like in NZ. The food is covered with special Pachamanka spices (which of course like
Relaxing AfternoonRelaxing AfternoonRelaxing Afternoon

Ben and James by the pool.
everything I believe included coriander oh the pain of it). It was so tender and the vegies were to die for. We really ate generally well in Peru.

Before we ate the meal we were involved in a ceremony. Ed and Sophia were the grandparents they had to say stuff and throw things on the ground and then we all had a sip of chicha (corn beer). As the food appeared from the steaming pile of dirt and leaves we started to salivate as the smells and sights told us we were going to eat well.

The next day we left for Pisco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Nazca CemeteryNazca Cemetery
Nazca Cemetery

A mummy preserved in the dirt
Nazca CemeteryNazca Cemetery
Nazca Cemetery

A baby mummy
Nazca CemeteryNazca Cemetery
Nazca Cemetery

An example of the mummies with their long hair. This cemetery is left as it is here. As you walk around you can still see bits of bone and other things just on the ground.
Nazca DesertNazca Desert
Nazca Desert

The sun setting over the dusty windy desert.
PachamankaPachamanka
Pachamanka

The feast presented to us.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb