Peru - Start of 3 week Gap Adventures Tour


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
March 14th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Piura - Northern Peru



Feb 27th

We took an international bus from Loja in Ecuador to Piura in Northern Peru. Initally we intended on getting an overnight bus but due to all the rain in the region we were advised to take an earlier one to ensure we actually got there as there were reported landslides on the route. We encountered some mud and fallen rocks from cliffs but nothing that delayed us thankfully.

The border experience was funny! On the Ecuadorian side you get your passport exit stamped at a little window where all the guys inside are watching a football match on telly. Then you walk over a river to the Peruvian side which had a power cut so we had our passports checked by torch light!

The journey from the border to Piura was uncomfortable due to the awful smell outside. It was a cross between a slaughter house and rotten vegetables!

We had a flight booked from Piura to Lima the next day so we had to stay a night in Piura. We stayed in a DODGY hostel and it was scorching hot. The next day one of the girls in the
BeetleBeetleBeetle

Hoping to get one in each country!
room next to us told us that in the middle of the night when she went to the bathroom she was met by several rats in the hallway. OH JESUS! Let me out of Piura.

The airport was very cute with 2 departure gates. We were on our way to Lima to meet up with the Gap Tour Group on 29th.

Lima



Feb 29th

We made it to the hotel where we were to meet up with our tour leader and the rest of the group. It was a step above what we had been used to in the accomodation front so we were happy straight away. It was in the Miraflores area of Lima which is next to the ocean and quite exclusive.

That evening we met the group. An odd bunch was the first impression! 11 of us in total ranging in age from 18 - 63. Should make for an interesting trip! Angela our tour leader and local Peruvian girl seemed very friendly. We went out for dinner to get to know each other which went well.


Lima to Paracas



Mar 1st

Usually on this tour you would visit Pisco but it was devastated by an earthquake last year so there is nothing to speak of there as a result. The nearby village of Paracas was our 1st stop on the tour. Just off the coast of Paracas is the Ballestas Islands where we took a boat trip to see sea lions, Peruvian boobies (which Tom got much amusement out of!), guano birds, pelicans and even dolphins (from afar alas). It was awesome although some of the group were seriously sea sick and I was suffering from a dose of diarrhoea! But we struggled through in the name of nature. The sunset on the beach was incredible and the place was very peaceful, at least til the morning when it was flooded with tourists.

Sandboarding

After the island visit we headed to Huacachina for some sand dune action! We loaded into a sang buggy and headed out on the dunes for a rollercoaster type ride. It was AWESOME fun. Then some of the group tried out sandboarding which is snowboarding but on the sand! I didnĀ“t partake but it was funny to watch. Especially Eddie, the 53 year old who misunderstood some directions and ended up on the sanddunes in his speedo!

That evening we travelled to Nazca where we would get to see the famous Nazca lines from the air the following day.








Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb