These islands are for the birds


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Ballestas Islands
June 14th 2011
Published: August 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Isla Ballastas

Mini van from lima to Huacachina via Isla Ballestas

A 3am start to arrive for the Isla Ballestas trip at 8am! The staff in our hotel were kind enought to get breakfast for us, including fried eggs.

A lot of farming can be seen on the way down the coast...all irrigated. They raise chooks on the beach.
The towns are untidy and dusty and many of the buildings sprout long lengths of reo. (This was a very common sight in our travels)

A fast boat takes us out to Isla Ballestas, rocky islands with caves, birds, penguins and seals. On the way out we see some old carvings in the hard slopes about 180m long and 50cms deep...been there well over 150 yrs but no one knows what they are or who did them. Because it NEVER rains, marks last a long time.

Water comes from the rivers....must be flowing beneath the surface. (for the engineers, there are no drainage pits or pipes in the streets)

In the bay, some divers, wearing old snorkels and a fishing net sausage filled with rocks for weights, were preparing for work. They then swam out on floats. When we returned, they were bringing their catch of fan shells ashore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

loading guanoloading guano
loading guano

Isla Ballestas
summer holiday housessummer holiday houses
summer holiday houses

closed for the winter


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb