Pelicans and mummies!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Ballestas Islands
February 26th 2005
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We figure we should get out and do one final tourist attraction (the wineries don't really count do they?) so we visit Ballestas Islands - referred to in our guide books as the 'cheap mans Gallapagos Island'.
What they fail to mention is the fact that the pelicans we see are not a new breed of black birds, but are drenched in oil from the polluted sea! Once I got over this, the trip was enjoyable enough, as we viewed colonies of sea lions and thousands of birds from a speedboat. The birds droppings being a key export to many countries including Australia (?)

The National Park is spectacular. The arid desert is a stark contrast to the lush Andes - these varying landscapes are what I love so much about Peru!
We visit a museum and I still can't get the images of the mummies kept in glass boxes out of my mind (shudder!!).
The cathedral is a key stopover which I discover is merely a rock formation that humans like to think can be likened to a cathedral or an Inca head, whichever you prefer.

An interesting day giving us an insight into the eco-tourism, a side of Peru that is genuinely concerned about the country's environment, and gives me hope that it will still be as beautiful by the time I come back..

xx haze xx



Advertisement



Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 21; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb