Back to Nature


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Ballestas Islands
January 21st 2008
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Devestation at ParacasDevestation at ParacasDevestation at Paracas

This is just part of the detroyed hotel on the Paracas beach, thanks to a huge tsunami which came after the earthquake.
Hi Folks,

Today was a bit more leisurely with the opportunity to do a few more touristy type things. Today was a trip to the Ballestas Islands just off Paracas on the coast of the Pacific.

If you remember, I was also there back in 2005 with Pancho and the CCS crowd. It was a very different Paracas that I saw this time around. As a result of the earthquake that hit Peru in August last year, a huge Tsunami wave came from the Pacific and hit Paracas. The nice area where we had a lovely evening meal back in 2005 is gone, and the main hotel on the beach virtually destroyed. They are in the middle of reconstruction work there. I have attached some photos to let you see. The speed boats are still running out to Ballestas, I guess the income generation is contributing towards restoration of the area.

We started out in one speedboat and then had to change to another as it ´wasn´t fast enough!!´ according to the driver!! Once we transferred into another boat, we were off!! There has been no major change to Ballestas. The ammonia still stinks as much as ever
PelicanPelicanPelican

Sitting on a boat in the harbour
(from all the bird droppings) and the islands weren´t significantly impacted by the tsunami.

They still have the same wildlife - pelicans, penguins, guillemots and ea lions. I have taken some photos, don´t think much explanation is required.

CCS amigas, have to say that the weather was much better and the boat of better quality than our trip. Didn´t get as wet or as cold this time around!! Missed you and was thinking of you all. Hope that the attached 'photos bring back some fun memories of our trip with Pancho.

After Ballestas, it was a five hour trip on the minibus back to Lima where we had to pack and prepare for an early morning flight. This was our last night at Villa Molina, although we are back in Lima for a short time Wednesday am before we catch our flight to Iquitos in deep, dark Amazonia!! Really looking forward to that!!

We did manage some time for a nice dinner out and I found the most delicious spinach ravioli!! We were also serenaded during dinner by a fantastic outdoor group. It was great fun.

Anyway - enough for now!! Hope you enjoy it.
Ballestas BirdsBallestas BirdsBallestas Birds

Lots n lots of them. The stench of ammonia was incredible!!


Lesley x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sea LionSea Lion
Sea Lion

Enjoying the sun!!
PenguinsPenguins
Penguins

Just for you Chas!! Lots of them!!
Interesting Rock formationsInteresting Rock formations
Interesting Rock formations

The right hand side looks like a face staring down into the water.


28th January 2008

Earthquake
Sad to hear about the devastation from the earthquake - I expect it will take years to recover. Glad to hear the Isla Ballestas were not so affected - I loved my trip there - before I met you guys! I just loved the penguins. Wendy

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb