The Ballestas Islands, Dune Buggys and Sand Boarding


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Ballestas Islands
November 8th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sand Buggy AdventureSand Buggy AdventureSand Buggy Adventure

Flying over sand dunes several hundered metres high at high speed is an experience similar to a roller coaster, but with the added bonus of a sand scrub every three minutes!!
Today was another day of wonderment and fun here in South America.

Starting off at the small village of Paracas, we boarded a speed boat to head out to the Isla Ballestas. These islands are essentially towers of rock that surge from the ocean and are home to thousands of animals, all of different types and species.

Many types of birds, sea lions and penguins call these islands home and the volume of life present here is awe inspiring - I didnĀ“t think any other nature experience would come close to the Galapagos, but this certainly did.

After a couple of hours cruising, we headed back and set off for the region of Ica. The change in climate and topography was obvious as we left the coast and headed inland.

Upon reaching the oasis of Huacachina we boarded sand buggies and sped off over the dunes - it was like being on a roller-coaster with the added fear of rolling over in the middle of a desert with no help at hand.

Stopping several times for sandboarding was a great experience - racing down the dunes, several hundred feet high, at a fast pace was a
Dolphins Lead us OutDolphins Lead us OutDolphins Lead us Out

This was an image we missed in the Galapagos and were very happy to capure as we left port for the Ballestas.
lot of fun. Unfortunately, Janice was too chicken to give it a go.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The CandelabraThe Candelabra
The Candelabra

The candelabra is an etching similar to the famous Nazca Lines, but it is unknown who created it and why. One theory is that it is a tribute to a Jewish Pirate who used to frequent these parts.
The Ballestas IslandsThe Ballestas Islands
The Ballestas Islands

Home to thousands upon thousands of birds, sea lions and penguins the Ballestas Islands have an abundance of life that I have never witnessed before - with a corresponding amount of "guano" (shit in laymans terms).
Humboldt Penguins at BallestasHumboldt Penguins at Ballestas
Humboldt Penguins at Ballestas

The penguins at Ballestas are vast in number.
Bird formationsBird formations
Bird formations

The number of birds in flight at Ballestas is simply mind boggling.
One Eyed CormorantsOne Eyed Cormorants
One Eyed Cormorants

These one eyed cormorants are endemic to the Ballestas Islands and are everywhere....
Sand Boarding at HuacachinaSand Boarding at Huacachina
Sand Boarding at Huacachina

The oasis of Huacachina is a few minutes south-west of Ica and is home to a field of sand dunes several hundred feet high. Cruising down a board on your stomach is a ton of fun.....except for the sand in your shorts...
Desolation of HuacachinaDesolation of Huacachina
Desolation of Huacachina

It is beautiful out here, but feels like you could be very, very alone.


8th November 2007

im with you janice, i would not have gone down that sand dune either, last time i went with karl on a trip, i was happy to watch as he did that!
12th November 2007

candelabra
First, as a single candle holder, that would properly be called a candelabrum, amigo. Second, if it was for a Jewish pirate, it would have been called "The Menorah" (and it would have had seven branches; I only count three). Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah for more information on Menorahs in general :)

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 25; qc: 91; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb