Notes from the Southern Hemisphere


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Huánuco
May 4th 2008
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So apparently the sun rises in the west and sets in the east here. And the big dipper is nowhere to be found in the sky. The water runs down the drain clockwise, probably due to the shape of the sink rather than the coreolis effect, but it was worth a try.
We arrived in Huancayo in the highlands of Peru on tuesday after a hellish (for Kristina) 7 hour (300 km) bus ride. We´re at 3400m in Huancayo so running up the stairs makes us feel like old men. Also one drink equals three, so getting tipsy is a lot cheaper hahaha. Our host parents, Patty and Juan Jose are great, and are good about showing us Huancayo from a local perspective. We have a lot more running water than anticipated, which is a plus, and if you´re really lucky you get a warm shower.
The worst part about the peru for Kristina is the terrible coffee, limited to instant nescafe. What they do with all of the coffee beans they grow here, we have no idea. This means our tea repetoire is being seriously widened. We hope Kristina´s shakes will subside soon, and are the in the process of developing a caffeine patch for her.
We started volunteering at the orphanage on Wednesday, and the little hellions are the cutest things we have ever seen. We work with the 2-5 age group, and its a lot of playing, and swinging and lavishing of attention (as long as alfredo doesn´t eat the rocks). We are continuing to work there next week, and starting much needed spanish lessons. Over the past week we have perfected our nod and smile technique when having a conversation. This came in use when we ended up gatecrashing a may day party. Upon hearing a live band we went to investigate, and were pulled into the fiesta. All of our conversations went a little like this, only in broken spanish.
Hola
Hola
Where are you from?
Canada.
Oh Canada! Toronto?
Sure, close enough.
Would you like some beer?
No thanks
Machu Piccu
Would you like some beer?
No thanks
Would you like some beer? Its peruvian!
(feeling badly about not accepting their hospitality) Sure, un poco.
Would you like to dance?
No thanks, i don´t dance well
Would you like some beer?
Machu Piccu
No thanks
Come dance with us!
Machu Piccu
This seemed to be their default phrase when we didn´t understand. Peruvians are very welcoming, usually drunk, and also VERY proud of Machu Piccu.
Huancayo is apparently a very authentic peruvian experience. Kristina´s blond hair and both of our white skin and blue eyes make us the tourist attraction. The only hope is that we´ll tan enough to look local.
We went to see Huanca and Incan ruins on saturday, which was amazing and breathtaking in more ways than one. We still have yet to get used to climing mini mountains at altitude. It amazing to think that cultures were building elaborate stone structures while europe hadn´t even thought of colonizing yet.
We miss you all at home, and hope all is going well ¨up north.¨
Kristina and Andrea

Advertisement



9th May 2008

miss you guys!
hey guys, sounds like you are having an amazing time!!! and don't drink to much beer lol. keep us updated for us unlucky ones stuck back in kdub.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb