Cuzco to Puno by The Belmond Andean Explorer Train


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
July 24th 2017
Published: July 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday

Our scheduled departure from Cuzco on the Belmond Andean Explorer train was 11.00 but this was changed to 07.00 because of the possibility of disruption by the striking teachers. After an early breakfast we were collected from our hotel at 06.00 and taken to the station. After boarding the train, accompanied by local musicians and waved off by a a small group in national costume, we enjoyed a second cooked breakfast including a tasty Peruvian sparkling wine. Our cabin was sumptuous with a double bed, two armchairs and table plus two picture windows and a complete en suite. The journey started through the poverty stricken streets of Cuzco with ungated level crossings and cars driving alongside the train tracks as if we were a tram. After we left the city the journey through the Andes was magical and spellbinding. We disembarked for a short bus journey to the archeological site of Raqchi, which is the remains of an Inca weaving factory. When we returned to the train we were greeted by the staff who were offering refreshing towels. Our journey continued to La Raya, the highest point of the route at over 4,100 metres surrounded by snow capped peaks, where we left the train to take photos. We spent time in the open observation car where the knowledgeable local representative gave us interesting information regarding the passing fauna and flaura and the towns we passed through.

We adjourned to our cabin for a rest and were still able to appreciate the spectacular scenery passing by. We joined our friends in the piano bar for pre dinner drinks before moving into the opulent restaurant for our fabulous three course dinner. After dinner there was musical entertainment by a saxophonist in the observation car. As planned the train was stationary at Puno on the northern shore of Lake Titicaca where we enjoyed a peaceful slumber.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb