In Awe - Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
April 5th 2015
Published: April 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mystical, brilliant, awe inspiring are some of the words to describe our experience at Machu Picchu. The Inkans were truly master engineers, sculptors, builders, visionaries. It started in Ollaytambo were we caught a train to Aguas Calientes. This is the small town that was built into the mountains at the base of the Urubumba River strictly because of MP's tourists, it's really not a place you would want to stay for more that 2 nights. We arrived at around 5:30pm in AC after a fabulous train ride, all of our necks hurt as we spend much of the hour and a half ride gazing at the mind blowing scenery. The hostel made a mistake on our room so we had to take a room with 3 single beds. We moved the furniture (not that there was a lot to move)and put all the beds together? somehow I wake in the middle of the night and found myself in the crack (I took one for the team😊In the morning we woke at 5:30am to grab breakie and catch our bus up to Machu Picchu.It was a 20 mins. ride snaking straight up the mountain into the clouds.Sean and I have been talking about this experience for so long, we were giddy with excitement.As you can imagine it is a well oiled machine with buses and people filing in. We hopped off the bus and met Marco a MP guide, we thought about whether to spend our time exploring by ourselves or have a guide. Thankfully we chose the later learning so much more than imaginable in 2 hrs. Marco was especially wonderful with the kids, which made the experience exceptional.After the tour we trekked around MP into the early afternoon. It's the back end of the rainy season here so in the mountains it rains at some point everyday. We were lucky enough to see the sun shine and show all of its spectacular views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb