Cuzco y Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
March 24th 2006
Published: March 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Gay Pride - Plaza de ArmasGay Pride - Plaza de ArmasGay Pride - Plaza de Armas

No, actually it's the flag of the region.... This was on Sunday (we made it out for about an hour !)
Well, where do we begin? We got to Cuzco on the night of Wednesday 15 March and you may well wonder what we've achieved in the 10days spent here thus far......

The unfortunate truth is that we have visited a total of 0 museums and gone on a total of 0 organised trips. Most of our time has been split between our bedroom (sounds better than it was!!!) and Cuzco's main Plaza.

On Friday 17th we spent the day planning and sorting out the time ahead of us in Cuzco. Priorities were; Spanish lessons for a week, 2 days trip to Machu Picchu including a little hike and a flight out of Cuzco to La Paz, Bolivia (yes its not that far but as you know from previous entry, the busses have not always agreed with us!).

So, we booked our Spanish lessons to begin on Monday. Put down our deposit, booked our trains to Machu Picchu for Saturday morning and discovered that flights to La Paz have been stopped..... everything was sorted apart from the flights and we just resigned ourselves to the gruelling bus trip.

0100 Saturday, the downfall begins. Chris was pretty ill throughout
Military Pride, Peru StyleMilitary Pride, Peru StyleMilitary Pride, Peru Style

If one works for the government, one marches. Simple. From the Army to the teachers to the administrators. Marching (and stamping and protesting) is what Peruvians seem to do.
the night, having those bad nightmares associated with sickness. Tossing and turning, periodically vomiting, making aquaintance with the toilet from both ends....

0430 Saturday, Machu Picchu train (due to leave at 0615) becomes an impossibility and damage-limitation takes over. Rachel with one comatosed Chris takes taxi to the train station at 0530 and has tickets stamped as the first step to cancel them. (Stamps seem to typify the Peruvian way of doing things.... beauracracy at its best!). The next step was to return at 0900 to the ticket office (at a different location of course!) and accept the 10% charge (on a ticket price of 70 dollars!) to get the money back. Sorted.

Monday. Situation remains the same, Spanish lessons get put on hold.

Tuesday. Chris sees improvement, his love affair with the toilet comes to an end and he is up and about and "BLOODY STARVING!".

Rachel falls ill.

Spanish lessons CANCELLED.

Wednesday. Rachel still sick. Chris improving by the day. Bowel movements back to normal, sleeping well again (thanks in part to Valium given over the counter after complaining of sickness induced insomnia!)

Wednesday P.M decided to take the plunge and
AdministratorsAdministratorsAdministrators

There was a parade of different groups of administrators, teachers, police etc all marching on Sunday. These are the administrators with the suitably gray uniforms. I hope they administrate better than they march!
book train tickets for Machu Picchu the following day. (By now both are fed up of Cuzco and the four walls of our room and need to get MP out of the way and get out!)

Thursday. Machu Picchu. Day begins at 0500, train leaves at 0615. Took about an hour to get out of Cuzco itself as it has to zigzag back and forth, over the hills surrounding the city. Reversing, switching points, going forwards, switching points, reversing...........

After 4.5hours we arrive at Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes) and make our way to the city of Machu Picchu itself. Really impressive, lucky with the weather (see photos).

Left at 1550 (a real shame we couldnt / didnt stay longer) and eventually got back to Cuzco at 2100.

Rachel spends the evening vomiting.

Friday 24th. Plan was to leave for Puno (again!!) breaking up the journey south to Bolivia. However, owing to lingering sickness it has been postponed until tomorrow. (Fingers crossed!).

So yeah, the highlight of Peru really. Lots achieved....... It's a shame because we had high hopes and lots of plans for Cuzco. Still, hopefully we will both be 100% soon and we
Other touristOther touristOther tourist

There are plenty of other tourists in Cuzco. Here is an example.
can enjoy the next part of the trip.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The Sick CellThe Sick Cell
The Sick Cell

Here she is... 4 solid days practically.
The View....The View....
The View....

This is the view from the bed. As you can see, the 'interesting' wall art inspires pleasant dreams.
ValiumValium
Valium

These certainly helped to block out images of the two tortured Incas emerging from the depths of hell in the painting... (but I'm off them now!!)
Plaza at nightPlaza at night
Plaza at night

Rachel was too ill to come out and eat. I hadn't eaten in days so I had to go out and eat alone. Had a couple of cheeky bevvys and messed around with the camera while admiring the view.
Plaza at night IIPlaza at night II
Plaza at night II

Peru seems to do it's Plazas pretty well.
Porters' ProtestPorters' Protest
Porters' Protest

These are Inca Trail porters (they carry the Gringos' kit up the mountains.) They are protesting against the pay and conditions they get from the tourist agencies. (So where does the $300+ to hike the trail go??!)
5am Start5am Start
5am Start

Leaving the hostel to get to the train station. This is our street, we're pretty close to the main Plaza.
Back and forth out of CuzcoBack and forth out of Cuzco
Back and forth out of Cuzco

As we to'd and fro'd our way up the hill... it becomes clear that not all of Cuzco is as brightly polished as the Plaza and surrounding streets.
JourneyJourney
Journey

The train bumps and rocks it's way along through some great scenery....
Journey IIJourney II
Journey II

The jungle gets more and more dense and the mountains more spectacular en route. It really eases the 4.5hour bone-shaker!
Journey IIIJourney III
Journey III

More of the same. Head out of the window all the way.
Welcome to Machu Picchu (Give us ya money)Welcome to Machu Picchu (Give us ya money)
Welcome to Machu Picchu (Give us ya money)

Although we loved MP, the price was astronomical (it cost us about $230 between us for the day) and unfortunately there are no obvious signs of conservation or education which is where the money claims to be spent...
We're Here!We're Here!
We're Here!

The obligatory 'overlooking MP shot'
Yes, we both made it....Yes, we both made it....
Yes, we both made it....

We wanted to climb to the top of the mountain behind but due to time we couldnt.... It's a real shame we were so rushed.
GuideGuide
Guide

We managed to tack ourselves onto an english-speaking guide which was pretty useful seeing as our entrance fee didn't even get us an information leaflet or entrance to any museum or anything.....
Walled stepsWalled steps
Walled steps

The steep mountain slopes beneath the city are all stepped to support the buildings above.
Window...Window...
Window...

The city itself is sat on top of Machu Picchu mountain. 1500m below (rough guess) is the river we followed on the way in.
InsideInside
Inside

It's surprising that you can just walk around the city, there are no barriers, restrictions etc. Apparently up to 1000 people lived here and they had all of the buildings they needed to survive. Even their own irrigation system to supply them with water...
Rains are coming!Rains are coming!
Rains are coming!

As we were leaving the sunshine left (leaving with it some nice red-lines on us!) and the ominous clouds swirled...
Ok, this is the last one!Ok, this is the last one!
Ok, this is the last one!

The last pic of MP, we promise....
Corn, anyone?Corn, anyone?
Corn, anyone?

The train stops. People either; try to sell corn with cheese, jelly or water, or shout "money amigo?"....


24th March 2006

Wow! You finally made it!
Hope the altitude was ok for you at MP, and you now have regained your strength after your sojourn in Cuzco!Guess you have more MP photos than you've put up on the site. All the best for the next stage of the trip. Love from us all, Aunty Susan (off to NZ next w/end)
25th March 2006

Poor you!!
Aww Rach, poor you (and you too Chris!!) Sounds slightly reminiscent of Tenerife and you crawling to the door to meet us! Valium sounds a vast improvement though on shot in the bum!! Hope you guys are feeling 100% now and can start to enjoy your surroundings etc. Spare us a thought slogging away back in Cardiff (why did I ever OPT to come to uni???!!!) Love you lots and hoping you're better, Emxxx
25th March 2006

Sounds as though you have had a rough time.Hope both 100% now, take care of each other and take care with the valium!!!!love to both Sara xxxx
27th March 2006

Glad that you are both finally on the move. At last it seems that you have both recovered. Im sure that things will now improve and Bolivia will bring you more luck!! lets hope anyway. Lots of luv mom xxx
27th March 2006

It's raining here...
Hello! Just thought I'd drop a quick note to let you know how fab the photos look, very Indiana Jones... Hope you're both feeling better now, keep up with the updates - providing much needed entertainment from all the work I've got to do! Hope you're having a great time, it sounds like you are anyway. Very envious cos all it does is rain here in Manc! Love Gem xx
29th March 2006

Where are you now????????
What a shame you were ill in Cusco!! Theres so much to do there, not to worry you've probably ventured into the beautiful Bolivia by now, must must must go to the salt lakes in Uyuni. Im still loving the photos and all the comments from you two, careful with the valium Chris (student nurse speakin here - where's Becci!) Lorna A has flew to Bangkok today for her adventures - I told her if ill to eat - plain boiled rice, bananas, water, plain biscuits, jelly, energy drinks. Same goes to you two - no fruit, dairy!!, alcohol, pasta sauces (rachel!), bread, sweet things. Email soon! Sophie xxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb