Inca Trail


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi!

Just a quick update, to say that we made it to Machu Picchu, after a challenging but amazing 4 day hike. The whole experience was fantastic, we had porters carrying our bags, running in front of us to get the camp set up for our arrival; amazing food - 3 course lunches and dinners and something different to look at around every corner on the trek. We had 2 very knowledgeable and fun guides - Santiago and Joseph for a group of 7 of us. All similar ages to us, but the other 5 were all very unfit Americans! (who couldn't believe how fit Josh was.. they thought he was some kind of fitness guru!) Although amazing food, not one of them ever finished the food on their plate. They helped themselves to loads and didn't eat half of it! They really didn't understand the fact that we were in a 3rd world country and that the poor porters ate lentils and rice outside the tent! However... Machu Picchu itself was magical. We arrived at the Sun Gate, where you see the first glimpse of Machu Picchu very early, but unfortunately it was foggy so we couldnt see it! However, we walked a little further on and suddenly we saw it in all its glory. It was a really awesome 4 days, we can't recommend it enough. The altitude is a little tricky to deal with, but we were told to suck cocoa leaves, which certainly did the trick!

We are now in Ica which is further south on the coast. We had a flight over the Nazca Lines today which was fun - carvings in the rocks dating back to pre-Inca times around 1000BC - amazing shapes of animals and birds which were sick-makingly difficult to photograph in a jerky little plane! We then learned about the history in a museum where there were real mummies. Dad R, you would have loved the skulls and full sets of teeth everywhere!

It's our last night in Peru tonight. We are having dinner with a lady that's been our tour guide for the last few days. We then fly to Rio tomorrow night to spend our last 'leg' with our friend Caroline which we are really excited about! (Josh is dying for a decent drink!)

B&J
x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb