Caipirinhas and rip tides in Rio!


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well what a perfect end to our trip! Rio was amazing, fun, action packed and everything we wanted. The sun shone brightly for us and we hit the beaches everyday. Caroline and Dom were the perfect hosts and really looked after us.

Our final night was spent in Lapa in a wonderful samba bar with great music and wonderful cocktails! It was the best way to while away our final few hours in a traditional Brazilian bar with a vast array of wonderful antiques hanging off the walls.

In the short 4 days we had in Rio we visited Sugarloaf mountain, Christo, had cocktails at Copacabana Palace Hotel, visited the Hippie Fair on sunday (a better version of Camden market) and saw all the beaches, Leblon, Ipanema and of course Copacabana. We quickly realised that these werent any ordinary beaches, with men parading around in nothing more than a tight pair of briefs and women with even less!

We did have one extremely scary moment over the weekend when Caroline and a small child (amongst others) were carried away out to sea in a vicious rip tide that was literally five metres from where we were standing in the sea. It was a sudden and totally unexpected thing to happen on a perfect beach Priainha (i think!) 45mins outside Rio. All we could do was watch helplessly as they headed out to sea and were being dragged under. Luckily for all those watching a very alert lifeguard as well as two surfers came to rescue and brought them all back to the beach, riding the massive (Point break¨ like) waves into the surf. All were very shaken up but Caroline put on a very brave face afterwards.

We have had a brilliant trip and had many memories to cherish and around 2500 photos to edit!

This now endeth the blogs....thanks for reading..
All love
The Bretts


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb