Mach-ing Up To Expectations


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
May 25th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

King of the HillKing of the HillKing of the Hill

Machu Picchu
One of the must sees on any self-respecting traveller's list, we approached Machu Picchu with just a tinge of hesitation. Could any place really live up to that amount of hype? Our first glimpse of it appearing out of the mist at 6am quickly dispelled any lingering fears.

Wandering through the ruins before the onslaught of tour groups was a moment that had the hairs on the back of our necks standing up. It was the making of one of those memories that will sustain us on a wet Wednesday in Glasgow when we've rejoined the world of work.

As we hadn't done the Inca Trail we felt it only fair to set ourselves the task of climbing the mountain overlooking the ruins for that picture postcard view. Unfortunately you don't sell many postcards consisting solely of clouds. We felt we were being reasonably patient having spent 45 minutes at the top and seen a few guides heading back down having given up on the chances of it lifting. You can imagine our irritation when, 15 minutes after arriving back at the bottom, the sun broke through and kept the clouds away for the rest of the day.
House on the hillHouse on the hillHouse on the hill

Machu Picchu

The climb wasn't a total waste of effort however as it gave us a sense of respect for the Incas' building capabilities and complete disregard for simple details like a few thousand metres of mountain getting in the way of a good spot for a new house. Vertigo clearly wasn't an issue in those days.

We're also fairly sure that when the Incas chose this prime piece of real estate, they weren't planning on competing with 20 other sights for the right to claim a place on the list as one of the 7 Wonders of the World. But that's exactly where Machu Picchu finds itself now.

It's hard to get away from the fact in Cusco and the surrounding area, as the Peruvians make a big push to get the ancient ruins recognised. It's tough to cast a vote when you haven't seen all 21 contenders, but Machu Picchu is our 5th on this trip and 6th overall. And with Chichen Itza to come we could reasonably vote for Angkor Wat, The Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, Sydney Opera House, The Kremlin and The Eiffel Tour. Although frankly those last three are on a shaky peg.
Clinging onClinging onClinging on

Machu Picchu


Back Down To Earth in Cusco
Okay so technically Cusco is up from Machu Picchu but it feels like a bit of a come down after such an awesome sight. The Inca's built Cusco too and you can still see their handiwork in the foundations of a lot of the city's buildings. Not so sure what they'd make of the residents these days, who will offer you a 'cute' picture of themselves with their four legged friends. Goats and llamas are seemingly interchangeable in this never to be forgotten snapshot.

If you successfully avoid such entrepreneurs you are still likely to be offered the opportunity to have any item of footwear you own buffed to within an inch of its shiny life. Even if you're wearing flipflops. "It's possible" is usually the phrase that follows "shine your shoes mister/lady".

That's not to say that this isn't a pleasant place to spend time. We're thoroughly enjoying Cusco's winding streets and cafes with open fires in the evenings. We will at some stage drag ourselves away and embark on the next stage of this rapidly ending journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

TerracesTerraces
Terraces

Machu Picchu
Early riserEarly riser
Early riser

Machu Picchu
Where's the roof?Where's the roof?
Where's the roof?

Machu Picchu
Drop in the cloudsDrop in the clouds
Drop in the clouds

Machu Picchu
Early morning mistEarly morning mist
Early morning mist

Machu Picchu
On Cloud 9On Cloud 9
On Cloud 9

Machu Picchu
Morning lightMorning light
Morning light

Machu Picchu
Misty Machu PicchuMisty Machu Picchu
Misty Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu
Pointing the wayPointing the way
Pointing the way

Machu Picchu
Girls in the mistGirls in the mist
Girls in the mist

Machu Picchu
Long Way DownLong Way Down
Long Way Down

Machu Picchu


30th May 2007

marmalade sandwiches
Okay, I admit, I was fully expecting Machu Picchu to be completely overrated, but the pictures are pretty damn impressive. However, I just have this nagging thought that if someone were to come along today and suggest building a new village high up in some frankly rather beautiful mountains, there would be no chance of getting planning permission. And even if there were, the environmental protests would almost guarantee nothing would get built. And I'm in favour of that as I prefer my mountains unspoilt (although I'm being a hyprocrit as ski lifts are eyesores). But where is the Machu Picchu we 21st century folk are going to leave for prosperity - Harlow?
31st May 2007

Very impressive shots
Well done. And yes I agree with the previous comment which the redevelopment or prseservation is ok now, but if we want to replicate this village somehow, I doubt it will be approved!!!. rey
31st May 2007

Great Photos
They really are!

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 108; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb