Peru Trekking


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Lares Trek
April 30th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Finally, after leaving Lake Titicaca (with the bus company almost losing Lou's 'entire' rucksack) we arrived in Peru, first stop Cusco. This was to be our base for the next five days whilst we tried to arrange a trek to Machu Picchu. We were immediately struck by how pretty Cusco was with its mix of Inca and European architecture. The four of us (with Becky and Yan) managed to join a trek called 'The Lares', which is an alternative to the famous Inca Trail. We were pleased that we could arrange it at such short notice, and better still we were to have our own personal guide called 'Juan'.

Equipped with our walking sticks and poncho's, we set off on our 4 day / 3 night trek covering 32km and 3 high Andean mountain passes (with the highest at around 4800m). The trip was gruelling at times, particularly the steep inclines at high altitude, but we were rewarded at each meal-time with the most amazing 3 course meal. Freshly prepared and cooked in a private dining tent by our personal chef Ceasar and assistant Mike (yes they are Peruvian!) we sampled the best in Peruvian cuisine and it was such a treat. Nights were very chilly in the tent, but Ceasars special 'Macho Tea', a local speciality with 'mucho' rum really helped to the warm the cockles! Along the trek we passed beautiful lagoons, snow capped peaks and lots and lots of llamas! We also met some of the indigenous Quechua people and learnt a little about their traditions and way of life. One thing that took us a little by surprise were the family of Guinea Pigs living under the bed! This was partly to help keep the huts warm, but they are also sometimes served as a delicacy (only on special occassions)! Rather disturbingly Lou decided to try this for herself a few days later in a restaurant. I think she surprised even herself, but actually found it quite tasty.......who would have believed she used to be a vegetarian!

Day 4 and now it was time for the big finale. Our trek only took us to Agues Calientes, the nearest town to Machu Picchu. So at 4am the next morning we made our way up to the entrance gates just as the sun was rising. Wow! This place was very special and despite how many times we've seen the pictures, actually being there was something else. Juan (our guide) showed us around the various ruins explaining the history of the Inca´s. Then later that morning we did the steep trek up the Inca steps to the top of Huayna Picchu (the famous peak seen on all the postcards). The summit gave you the most amazing birds eye view of Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. This was a perfect end to a memorable trek and although we ached all over it was definitely worth the pain!

Time to hang up the hiking boots and board a plane (yes that´s a plane, not a bus!) to Lima and then on to Quito in Ecuador, where the Amazon and Galapagos Islands await.......

Lou and Lee
x


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Quechua Lady weaving....Quechua Lady weaving....
Quechua Lady weaving....

.....in house of the Guinea Pigs!
Lee dons rain poncho.....Lee dons rain poncho.....
Lee dons rain poncho.....

....but still smiling!
Almost there.....Almost there.....
Almost there.....

Huayna Picchu


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb