Goal Achieved!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
September 14th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The third day of the trek is fairly easy--compared to the past two days. We only hiked about 4 hours total and then reached our campsite where we could shower and had some free time. It was a fairly relaxing day.

Our last day however started at 4:30. We were the second group in line and our fabulous guide Victor was disappointed we were not first. As soon as the gate opened at 5:30, he had us sprinting the last 1 1/2 mountain climb so that we were the first at the sun gate. Who know he had a competitive side?

Reaching the sun gate at 7:00 the sun was literally coming over a mountain to illuminate Machu Picchu in light. It was an incredible site. Especially, after four grueling days. I know I felt such a sense of accomplishment.

We spent the rest of the morning taking a tour of the site (and learned that English pronunciation of Machu Picchu is really a bad word in the Incan language of Quechua--leave it to our guide to only advise that of on the last day).

Our last dumb idea for the day was after already climbing a mountain that morning, we decided to climb the mountain next to Machu Picchu that over looks it. It was the most straight up and very steep. Remember my fear of heights? I was really concerned it was going to take a helicoptor to get me down, but some how I managed, but was exhausted by the end.

All in all we were so disappointed that we did not have more time at the site itself. I was incredible.

There are also many more stories about the trip that I have edited out for time and audience, but make this one of the greatest things we have done along with one of the most difficult. I will leave those for another day. But a special thanks to our amazing companions, guides and most importantly, the porters that carried our stuff past us laughing. You guys were amazing. Thanks again.

After all this abuse, we decided to stay a day at a nearby resort to recoup some. The Pueblo Hotel in Aquas Calientes was incredible, in fact the most amazing hotel experience I have ever had. Amazing room, food, services plus the best massage I have had in my life.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Machu Picchu 2Machu Picchu 2
Machu Picchu 2

The mountain we climbed is in this picture.


28th September 2006

so dreams realy come true..sometimes..
As the inka trail is my greatest travel goal ...and i hope it wont be long till i ll say same as u guys, stoped by to be part of ur journey... all the best to u and thx for sharing..

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb