Cusco to Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
August 13th 2014
Published: August 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last day in Cusco. As I write, we are back in the capital city, Lima, for a quick overnight stop.

This morning we had a few hours left for a little more tourism so we walked to the Coricancha in Cusco. This is a church and convent built by the Spanish right on top of a very important Incan sun temple. The Spanish apparently realized that the Incan stone foundations were extremely good and they liked the message of domination that went with building on top of the temple too. The convent covered up most of the Incan foundations until a massive earthquake in 1950 led to parts of the newer building crumbling away to reveal the Incan stones. The contrast between the Incan and colonial masonry is now very striking.

From there we walked to the San Blas area which is a mess of tiny old cobbled streets popular with artists. After an early lunch we headed to the airport for the 70 minute flight back to Lima.

I mentioned in the blog a few days ago that some of the women of Peru have some great clothing. There are a good number of
women and kids in the tourist areas who dress in traditional clothes and offer photos for a small payment. We bit on that offer once when we came across an old lady and her llama, but I also took a few other photos of women wearing the traditional clothes that are posted here for your enjoyment.

Next stop, Iquitos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement









13th August 2014

Great pics
Hi Summers Family - I have really enjoyed all the blog posts again this year. I have not been to Peru, so I think the pictures and the commentary are great. I now want to plan a trip :)

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb