CUSCO - 2ND VISIT


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 27th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

25thSeptember – Cusco

Cusco was the capital of the Inca Empire before it was taken over by the Spanish. There is still a lot of incan remains evident in the city even though the Spanish destroyed most of the incan sites and built over them. The streets are crazy, most of them cobblestones with one way streets and continuous traffic. Had a sleep in today as it is a free day today to do whatever. We decided to visit some sites we hadn’t seen previously in Cusco so went to the Museo MachuPicchu. Not a museum but very interesting in detailing the history of Machu Pichu. It was a good place to visit after seeing the real thing. Had lunch at this great organic restaurant and we were going to try guinea pig but they didnt have any. Attached is a photo of all the different types of corn that is grown in Peru. Spent the rest of the day wandering around the streets looking at things we hadn’t seen before and catching up on emails etc. There are lots of church’s in Cusco as you can tell from the photos. A very significant Spanish influence. I can understand why this is a very popular tourist spot.

One of the group fainted in the street today and ended up in hospital for the night. She had been running around too much and with the altitude here it does get to you in the end.

Tomorrow we head off to Puno by train.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb