Cusco Ruins, Museos, Valleys


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
March 17th 2005
Published: March 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sacred ValleySacred ValleySacred Valley

Heading down into the valley. Bus didnt really stop but went snap hapy anyway!!
16/3 Caught a City Tour and visited the four ruins above Cusco. Sacsayhuaman was the largest and most impressive. Tambomachay had beautiful waterfalls, Qenqo: a zigzig path, almost a tunnel and underground altar, Pukapukara was a pile of rocks on a hill. Not in the best condition. Maybe it was the increasing cold, the people attacking you with goods at each site or the overly detailed explanations but I couldnt wait to get back and head for dinner.

Next day took myself around to the various museums using the Cusco tourist ticket. Bargain at s/70, gets you into most sites, ruins, Pisak, Sacred Valley etc. The Museo Historical Regional was a fanatstic collection of artifacts from the area, tracing the development from original Inca to Spanish intruders. The Museo Santa Catalina had the msot incredible collection of religious art after the Cathedral. Housed in the convent, with a chapel and old nun wandering about. Amazing artwork and most of it is anonymous.

Got pickpocketed on the Ave da Sol, $30 gone 😞 Considering where my cash was, full marks to the thief, not violent just a bit surprising when you arrive back and find youve lost some cash. Did
Pisak RuinsPisak RuinsPisak Ruins

Breathtaking and scattered across the face of the hills
the only thing possible and went for a huge beer and had a surprisingly good lasagna and brownie and cafe de crema. Comfort eating is good fun and farewelled Martijn heading off to the Inca Trail tomorrow!

17/3 SACRED VALLEY

Headed out this morning to the Sacred Valley. Breathtaking scenery, amazing ruins and a million tourists. Stopped at a market 20kms out of Cusco and purchased a July stone, inscribed with symbols. Onto the Pisak ruins. Wonderful condition and steps everywhere, narrow paths like the Inca trail, many terraces for the crops, temple of the sun (of course). The views into the valley and the volume of river are beyond words. And at 3500m you dont have any breath anyway.

Next major ruins were Ollantaytambo, tourist central. Many people stay here before travelling to Macchu on the morning train. Granaries on the hill side, vast terraces. The entire site is designed in the shape of a llama but you can only see this from the valley. Red granite rocks were transported down the river and brought up the mountains. Amazing.

Left the valley and travelled across the plateau to Chinchero (digi-camera went flat... not happy!!!!!). Climbed to 4100m, patchwork landscape of crops, snow capped mountains behind the Sacred Valley, alpine lakes nestled between the farms and at Chinchero, a market in the plaza outside the church. It was getting fairly dark by this time, muched out on hearts and potatoes, corn and cheese. All good and only .75c. Bargain, bought an alpaca scarf for $3 and those alpaca design jumpers you see everywhere, sell in the markets for about $15. Perfect day, topped it off with more fruit and yoghurt. zzzzzzzzz!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

OllantaytamboOllantaytambo
Ollantaytambo

Across the valley from the ruins


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb