Bussing Bolivia to Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
March 14th 2005
Published: March 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Cusco Plaza da ArmasCusco Plaza da ArmasCusco Plaza da Armas

Views across the Plaza
First thing on list is ..... learn Spanish and come back to Bolivia, its utterly amazing and I need to see the salt plains and mines further south.

Anyway, slid down the stairs, onto a boat, then bus to Cusco, Peru. Crossed the border and then travelled around the lake to Puno. Where there was a 6 hour gap between buses, then the night bus was cancelled and we were bundled onto a 1600 bus.
Met Martjn the dutchman and chatted for the next 7 hours. Hes been in SA for 6 months and if youre interested in his travels, hes a writer and this is his homepage. http://www.holagringo.web-log.nl/

Arrived in Cusco at 2300, so my contact wasnt there, I had no address or phone number for the hostel Id paid for and after asking 4 tourist police, 2 traffic police and numerous taxi drivers, decided it didnt exist. Went for a bit more of a walk and then crashed out at the Gran Macchu Picchu. Ongoing saga for the next four days, trying to get my money back. Dont book any tours through HI Bolivia, the connections and timing in SA make it too difficult to guarantee pickups etc.

Recovered well the next morning and headed to the Trotamundos Cafe on the Plaza de Armas. Amazing food and upstairs overlooking the plaza and cathedral, so excellent view to boot. Granola with fruit, yoghurt and drizzled with honey was to die for, along with the cafe with cream, french toast, eggs, cakes etc etc.

Oops, did a city tour, details in next entry.
Met up with Martijn and a couple from NZ/US who were heading up the Inca trail for dinner. Sampled the guinea pig, trout, lamb curry and llama. Guinea pig tastes great but is fiddlier to eat than quail and not much meat. Llama still rules supreme 😊 And the pisco sour, national drink like a G&T but slightly sweeter. Perfect for summer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb