Arrival in Cuzco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
January 8th 2005
Published: January 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Holiday Inn in QueensHoliday Inn in QueensHoliday Inn in Queens

Our home for day 1 of the trip after we missed our connection at jfk
After our little detour to Queens we finally arrived, a day later than expected, to Cuzco. The flight from JFK to Lima was long and i ddin´t get much sleep. LAN does have good service though, the food was good and there were plenty of movies and video games to keep me occupied during the long night of little sleep.

Lima was hot, but we only had a 3 hour layover there, thank god. we were accosted immediately upon emerging from customs, but enough ¨dejame en paz¨s were sufficient to shoo them away.

the flight from lima to cuzco was the best flight i have ever been on. it was beautiful. we saw incredible topography, and even some snow capped mountains. this part of peru looked very sparsely populated and virgin, very unlike what i remember from the campos of the DR, where nearly every inch of land was being farmed. the approach to cuzco was incredible too. we had to maneuver around these big hills to land and we got a good flyover of the city.

we landed and met jason after grabbing our bags. a 5 sol cab took us to our hostel, which seems pretyt
Subway in Nueva YorkSubway in Nueva YorkSubway in Nueva York

We spent most of our time in nyc underground
safe. we spent the day wandering around the city, marveling at the colorful clothes that the indigenous women wear and the clay tile roofs which are so much prettier than the zinc roofs of santo domingo.

food was cheap and decent. 5 sols, 1.50US, for a lunch, the same for dinner, though the beef was a little tough. we then went out for beers and nfl playoffs at this irish pub in the city center. yes, i know, what a wonderful way to celebrate incan/peruvian culture but by patronizing an irish pub. well, it was the only place advertising the game.

afterwards it was a disco and jarras de pisco sour - a barely palatable clear wine that apparently contains egg whites. the others actually liked it - they are crazy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

In CuzcoIn Cuzco
In Cuzco

Finally we have arrived and are awaiting a bus out to visit the Pisac Market


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb