Just Hanging Around


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 1st 2007
Published: September 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

With Eddie feeling a lot better we set out to explore the rest of Cuzco's sites.

Almost everything there is to see in and around Cuzco can be accessed by carrying a 'Cuzco Tourist Ticket' which cost us s.35 (under 6 pounds) each. The city never seems to be absolutely jammed with tourists but it never feels empty either. All the sites within the city itself are within easy walking distance of the hostel and each other which makes it really easy.

We bought our tickets from the City Hall which also contained one of the attractions on the ticket- an art gallery. There were two exhibitions, both by contemporary Peruvian artists. Some of it was quite interesting (at least it got our brains in gear a bit).

There is a big convent in Cuzco that was built on top of an Inca temple. This was a fairly interesting place to visit. The main courtyard had a nice Moorish feel and there were a couple of Inca walls left inside. Outside you could see clearly how the Spanish had built their rather imposing convent on top of the Inca building.

We climbed up to the old Inca Fortress above the town. Once again the views were pretty excellent but it was better this time because I had a mate to share them with. At the top there is also a large park area which on the Sunday afternoon we were there was filled with local kids flying kytes over the city below.

Although there are some interesting things to see in Cuzco the main thing to take in is the place itself. The maze of steep, narrow, cobbled streets, unexpected plazas and the glimpses of Andean peaks about is what I'll remember most. Cuzco, especially off the main plaza, has atmosphere. As can be seen from the graffiti, it's also a rather left-wing place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th September 2007

Better & better
Another excellent blog entry from our man in South America. Photos and the write up on Cuzco are brill. we can't wait for the coverage of Machu Pichu and Lake Titicaca.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb