"Classic Peru" - what a tour!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
April 19th 2007
Published: April 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me at Machu PicchuMe at Machu PicchuMe at Machu Picchu

I know, it looks like I've just stuck my photo over a postcard - but it's real, honest!
I’m not quite sure where to start. I don’t want to bore everyone with a day by day description of all the places we visited and things we saw and did, as there are so many, but every day brought a new adventure, and Peru really has so much to offer, so I will squeeze in as many of the highlights as possible.

I was joining a 3-week tour run for UK operator “The Adventure Company”. The group size can be up to 16 people, but we were really lucky and had a nice friendly group of only 6, as well as our excellent local tour leader Dante. The tour took us down the coast south of Lima, and inland to Arequipa, Puno, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon and the Sacred Valley, and of course to Cusco and the ultimate destination; Machu Picchu. I think we must have done something to please the Gods because, other than a few spits of rain in Machu Picchu, we had perfect weather the whole trip.

So now for the highlights:

Catching Palm Sunday celebrations in Lima. I’ve never seen such elaborate “palm arrangements” - and I always thought I was doing
Paracas National ReserveParacas National ReserveParacas National Reserve

Amazing clifftop views
well folding mine into a cross!

Staying in the desert oasis of Huacachina. Swimming in a beautiful pool, with massive sand dunes rising out of the desert on all sides, was incredible. We later boarded down those same dunes at sunset, which was quite something.

Flying over the Nazca lines. None of my photos do justice to the clarity of some these ancient and mysterious drawings in the desert.

The stunning coastline of Southern Peru - a long bus journey but it was worth it for the view.

Being surprised by the wealth in the Santa Catalina Convent in Arequipa - I thought nuns were meant to take a vow of poverty - but not here! Here they were allowed 25 items with them, and it doesn’t look like they stuck to essentials!

Incredulity as more and more bread was added to the Last Supper display in a church in Arequipa. Yes, the displays were grand, but I just hope it all went to a worthy cause the next day.

Pisco Sours almost everywhere we went.

Thinking we were lucky seeing a few vicuñas and llamas as we entered the Colca Canyon area,
Woman shepherding her herd...Woman shepherding her herd...Woman shepherding her herd...

of llamas, vicunas, and alpacas (and maybe more)
and then realising there were actually herds and herds of them.

Being rewarded for our patience when we got to see condors flying overhead at close range in Colca Canyon.

Experiencing the large fiesta being held for the anniversary of the community of Amantaní on Lake Titicaca. Also the interesting night spent in a rather “rustic” local house on the same island.

The many walks and climbs set for us as “tests” by our (sadistic?) group leader in preparation for the Inca Trail.

Our “snack” lunch in “Rico’s Pan” in Puno. Once we started we just couldn’t stop, and we’ll never forget the Pisco Sour cheesecake!

Mountain biking in the Sacred Valley. Amazing!

Wandering round the city of Cusco, with its Inca foundations still standing the tests of time. Just a shame we didn’t have a few more days to really explore.

Hiking and camping on the Inca Trail. Hard work, but the views were incredible. And, of course, it led us to the highlight…

MACHU PICCHU

Still can’t quite believe I’ve been there after seeing it so many times on TV and in books. Haunting, peaceful, spectacular…

And the
Group at the sun gateGroup at the sun gateGroup at the sun gate

After completing the Inca Trail
walk up adjacent Wayna Picchu was a slog, but well worth it for the view.

A REALLY amazing tour! Thanks to all of the group, and of course to Dante as well, for your company, the good times, and for putting up with my constant lamenting of lost clothes and travel accessories.



Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A stroll at Paracas National ReserveA stroll at Paracas National Reserve
A stroll at Paracas National Reserve

The desert just went on and on and the sea views were amazing
Sand boardingSand boarding
Sand boarding

Preparing to board down the dunes at Huacachina
Nazca hummingbirdNazca hummingbird
Nazca hummingbird

(if you double click on the photo you'll see it more clearly)
Mummy display...Mummy display...
Mummy display...

at Chauchilla Cemetery near Nasca.
Santa Catalina Convent, ArequipaSanta Catalina Convent, Arequipa
Santa Catalina Convent, Arequipa

where only the wealthy could be nuns, in fact only wealthy second daughters. That rules me out on both counts - what a shame!
Last Supper displayLast Supper display
Last Supper display

Iglesia Yanahuara, Areqipa. On holy Thursday all of the churches put on Last Supper displays and the people have to visit at least 7 churches over the course of the evening, so they were all crowded. Shortly after I took this photo a man pushed his way in and added piles and piles of bread to the display.
View from Patapampa... View from Patapampa...
View from Patapampa...

highest pass on the way to Colca Canyon, at around 4,900m
Children in traditional costumes...Children in traditional costumes...
Children in traditional costumes...

at Patapampa on way to Colca
Local traders and mountain view...Local traders and mountain view...
Local traders and mountain view...

Patapampa, on way to Colca
Dance of the lovers, ChivayDance of the lovers, Chivay
Dance of the lovers, Chivay

A traditional dance, in couples, but if you look closely you'll see that the men are dressed as women. This is apparently because in the days when men and women weren't allowed to dance together, the men pretended to be women to sneakily dance with their intended.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb