Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
July 12th 2005
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After all of our skiing, we were off to Peru!!



We headed to Cusco - the main town for hikers to Machu Picchu to congregate and head out. Really nice, relaxing town. We loved it!



We stayed in a fantastic hostel called Los Ninos. It was founded by a German couple who started a hostel to sponsor some of poor children in Cusco. Giving them jobs and teaching them important skills. All the rooms are named after the original children sponsored, and much of small cost to stay still goes towards chilren's charities.

There was fresh bread with jam and hot coca tea waiting for us on arrival. All for about $25 USD per night. Amazing place!




The streets of Cusco right near our hostel.



Touring Plaza de Armas, the main square. It's really, really a lovely place.



Especially when you find the nearest pub with a second story balcony to have a beer and take in the sights.



Koricancha (the Inca Temple of the Sun)





A beautiful abbey near Korikancha.

A beautiful church in town.


Around town....

And no that's not the gay pride flag flying everywhere (although I do think that would be great.) Cusco's flag is the rainbow.





The famous 12 sided Inca carved stone.

More inca construction....




The markets in San Blas.
A Cusco woman in traditional garb with her alpaca.


Kyle looks great in his hat!!




The monastery in town where we had a beautiful dinner..... By far our most expensive meal in South America, but well worth it!!




Sacsayhuaman..... a fortress that was an important part of the Inca's defense in the final defeat of the Inca Empire by the Spanish.




The view from the top.



Kyle sampling some water from a fresh spring. I'm glad he didn't end up with Montezuma'z revenge!! 😱





Taking a walking tour of one of the hilly neighborhoods. Just lovely.





Another of Kyle's gambles.... His first haircut in South America.





Out to dinner with a few friends we ran into at the airport from Santiago.



And Kyle's dinner of choice??.... a guinea pig.







Steph & Kyle xx

PS - Our complete photo album can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steph_kyle/




Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb