Skiing in Valle Nevado


Advertisement
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first South American skiing in Valle Nevado.








After a few days in Santiago, we headed out for Valle Nevado in Los Andes. It's only about 1 1/2 hour drive from Santiago, but it's one scary drive. There are 35+ switchbacks and another 30-something hairpin turns, meaning that from Santiago you basically go straight up!!

We shared the ride with a Brasilian couple, one of which had been practicing his english. As I was getting very carsick, I had to do something about it pretty quick, or we were going to have "a situation". (Never thought to take any tablets before the drive as I didn't know how stomach turning it was!) In his wisdom, he spoke to the driver (who just happened to have a lemon for the occasion) that I had to suck on the rest of the trip. Believe it or not, it did actually help! I don't know it it had anything to do with the actual lemon juice or if it was just the fact that I was so distracted by sucking on the lemon. Soooo sour.

Well, we finally made it, checked in to our resort, then promptly put on our skis and headed to the top. Then we started seeing stars.... It didn't take long to realize that we had ascended more than 2500meters over a couple of hours and then tried to ski. We admitted defeat, took a run or two then went in to have a little rest and acclimatize.








In case we don't make it....






Some action shots....







And why does Kyle look so happy?? There is not another skier in site in ANY of our photos. Magical!!!




A steep, rocky face that Kyle insisted on skiing down. 😊 Again, the picture doesn't quite do the pitch any justice!





Having a little lunch...





As Valle Nevado is connected by lifts to 2 other resorts, we decided to try our luck over at El Colorado. To Steph's dismay, we had to take one very steep poma lift to get there. (When was the last time Steph said a prayer?? Oh yeah, about halfway up that lift... 😱 (The pictures doesn't quite do it justice!)






Kyle got a little excited about the Milo flags, so he had to get one. Not a good move.... 😱 Not made the same as in Australia apparently.





The sunsets in Los Andes were just gorgeous!!










And our favorite restaurant at the resort... the Swiss fondue restaurant.







Steph & Kyle xx

PS - Our complete photo album can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steph_kyle/


Advertisement



Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.3087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb