Quad Biking


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
October 24th 2012
Published: October 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Very late waking up after the night before, i wandered out of the hotel into the hot lunchtime sun for some breakfast, a huge bowl of fruit salad and some sugar puff like stuff with yoghurt...yum!!

Harry, Richard, Donald and I decided that we would go quad biking for the afternoon. Probably not the wisest thing to do after a night out..... but we wouldn't be on the public road....so we thought!!!

we got a taxi to an industrial site and where introduced to the death machines!! I clambered on the bike and learnt how it worked. I think it was fair to say i was bricking it just riding around the yard but then the guide jumped on his bike and headed for the main road..... he stopped briefly to warn us about the rapid street dogs, 'don't worry' he said 'they bark and run up to the bikes, but just ignore them, they hardly ever get run over'!!! We just all stared at each other unsure whether he was having a Peruvian joke with us or not, but before we got a chance to find out he'd jumped back on his bike and was riding off down the road. We followed and experienced the first collection of dogs. I found screaming at them helped!! Then we left the main road and found a dirt track lined with small dwellings. We stopped at one junction to find a women in the middle of the road, apparently drunk, she started pelting us with stones and shouting!!! All i could say to her was 'Sorry, i don't understand you, i don't speak Spanish' she paused briefly, i think realising i was a women, turned on her unsteady heals and preceded to pelt the guide instead!!! We escaped and started hurtling around a field experimenting with the bikes before starting on the track.

It was quite exhilarating but when i stopped my legs were shaking so much it was better to sit on the bike!

Unfortunately, the day was cut short when Donald wrapped his bike around a tree!! the guide had to dismantle the bike and untangle the front crash bar from the chassis in the middle of the track before we could leave. The guide 'accompanied' Donald back to the hotel to ensure he paid the $600 of damages..... ouch!! Good times!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb