Queazy in Cuzco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
March 14th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was a memorable day to end our our visit to Lima even though we disn´t see many attractions. The trip to the beach swimming and reading under a rented umbrella, followed by lunch in a streetside cafe will probably become our most lasting memory of Lima. Abbey and Harold got a little bit careless with the sunscreen, and have a few pink patches to show for it.

The trip to Cuzco was uneventful, and we found ourselves in our hotel for noon. As expected, the move to 3,310 meters above sea level has caused some altitude sickness, especially in Abbey and we rested most of Monday afternoon and will lay low for this morning as well. It works out okay as Abbey´s catching up on her math. We´ve been drinking a tea made with coca leaves, and it helps with the nausea, and have even adopted the local custom of making a little plug of coca leaves and carrying it inside our cheek for a couple of hours. You know the saying: ´When in Cuzco...´

We were in a bit of a quandary last night because we wanted to walk to get some dinner, but Abbey was out of breath too quickly (she was also very hungry because we were too lazy to get moving on time). No cabs were handy, so we went into a little hole in the wall restaurant frequented by locals and grabbed three hot sandwiches for the equivalent of $4 CDN and headed back into the hotel. We would have eaten in, but were worried that Abbey would get sick if she had to digest the food and walk up the hill at the same time. The owners were great, but frankly a little surprised to have any gringo customers, and had to run out to break a bill that was worth about $17 CDN. We´re all feeling better today.

On the ride to the hotel from the airport yesterday, I saw a guy delivering four propane tanks on a motorbike. He had them hanging on the sides like saddle bags. Didn´t get a picture of that, but did get a picture of a guy who delivers gasoline (I think) on a specially modified bicycle. This city has lots to see. We begin touring this afternoon (if everybody is healthy) and will see some of the Inca temples and ruins around town. It hit me on the way into town yesterday that this was the capital of the Inca empire, and we´re literally walking by (and on) the remnants of that ancient empire.

No photos or videos with this post. The computer here suffers the same problem as we experienced in Lima. Will pack the camera cord in case we can duck into an internet cafe later.





Advertisement



15th March 2011

get better soon, Ab.
I do hope you become acclimatized to the new elev ation. Take it easy so you can enjoy your sight seeing. Things here are good. We are expecting above average temps this week-ie thawing.Love, mom.
15th March 2011

Gatorade
A Lady who was in Machu Pichu used Gatorade to recover from altitude sickness. Might be an idea to carry some with you.
15th March 2011

Cuzco!
Hi there, Glad to hear you're seeing and experiencing Cuzco...my dad was in Peru when I was about 9 for work and he took a side trip to Cuzco and then up to Machu Pichu. I remember him talking about feeling nauseous from the altitude and drinking tea made with the coco leaves too! I hope everyone adjusts and feels well enough to enjoy the sights. It is a beautiful space as I recall from his pictures. Enjoy your stay in Cuzco!
15th March 2011

it's been about a month
Hello Pauline, Harold and Abbey: I can't believe you've been traveling around for about a month. Time sure goes quickly. I can hardly wait to see the Inca pictures. Now Dan has to switch to wine from Peru. He really enjoyed the Chilean wine in honor of your travels. Went to the Setting Lake last weekend to check up on the cabin. It is still winter in Thompson. We are seeing some evidence of spring here in Gimli as the temperature today is +5. I know, it is much warmer there. It's all in the location, location, location. Take care. Yirka and Dan

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb