Things are actually starting...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

hola chicos!

peru is amazing. its like this big village sunken in between mountains and its a mix of now and back in the day. tomorrow and thursday are huge incan festival days with traditional ceremonies and dances and everyone is off from work and school. im really excited. today was my first day of spanish class and its was sooo great because its just three of us and we meet for 2 hours a days and i´ve actually spoken more spanish in class and in here in general than i did in four years of high school spanish.

i´m doing this tandem exchange program that i started today and was partnered with a peruvian student who wants to learn english. my partner is 19 and his name is reny ( im actually not completely certain his name) but it was really cool meeting someone and he told me about himself and showed me pictures of his home town and so did i (via google)...but then he started asking me what i was doing this saturday and if i wanted to see this town with him thats a two hour drive away and if i was going to a discoteque on saturday and more and i got a little freaked butttt its the way of peruvian men so i´m not too worried and just gonna let it go and keep my guard up.


at 4 i start volunteering at coli bri, an after school program for kids 5 to 14 that are either abandoned by their parents or semi abandoned. i visited the program yesterday and found out that it is run by a retired police man who is trying to keep kids off the streets and away from petty crime and drugs. the kids are adorable and there are many other volunteers, not from GVN, who are working there as well. i walked there yesterday and almost died as it is completely up hill on a road of which the name loosly translates to ¨super slippery so watch it¨but it is basically in la plaza de armas, the main center of town which is so cool and beautiful, so i´m not complaining.

ciao for now! (nobody says adios)
con una besa,
em

Advertisement



22nd June 2010

I really enjoyed your Peru post, and it sounds like you're going to have a great experience there, helping the locals. My blog is looking for travel photos, expierences, reviews, etc, to share with our readers across the world. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email us at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Plus, we have some South America reviews on there, if you're curious. Continued fun and good luck with your volunteer program! Heather :)
23rd June 2010

great blog
the trip sounds amazing-you're doing and learning so much. How's the altitude adjustment and the food and your room. I'm sure your kids will love you. I love you. So glad you're happy. You take care. Love-Mamacita

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb